Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How to play songs *fully* and crossfade - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hi,

how do I need to set the options Auto Cue, Force Fade, and Crossfader to get the following behavior when in automix mode:
- all songs strictly start from the beginning (no cue points, beat detection, ...)
- all songs strictly last till the end (no silence detection, ...)
- during the last 5s or so of the first song, the second songs soothly fades in (so the songs "overlap" for 5s)

I have tried several combinations of the options mentioned above, but I didn't manage to combine them to result in the above behavior. In particular, I didn't manage to make the songs start strictly at the beginning.

Thank you very much in advance.

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 3:54 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
hi blootplazma

autocue - enabled

force fade - enabled

crossfader - smooth

fade length - between 4 & 5 seconds

disengage beatlock - manual

try those settings and get back to me they work for me exactly what you want

Tayla

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 4:18 pm
Thx for you quick response.

I guess I am too stupid - no, the above settings don't work. When I right-click the "Automix" button in the top bar to activate the automix mode, it still sets cue points (those white bars in the wave form). These cue points are used as begin and end marks when it crossfades, i.e., some songs still are not played from the very beginning :-(

Any other ideas?

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 5:00 pm
hi

just got back in, i'm not much good in fact no bloody good on the tech side so we'll just have to go with all the settings i've got in options it could get a bit long winded until we find the right settings...

security - always
scrolling - always
pitch range - -34% to +34%
bpm engine - any music
auto pitch-match - disabled
auto gain - always 0db
auto pitch reset - disabled
auto eq reset - enabled
auto cue - venabled
auto headphones - always
disengage beatlock - manual
force fade - enabled
crossfader - smooth

probably gone the long way about it by more experienced users but what the hell...

Tayla

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 6:10 pm
forgot to mention dont know if it matters or not but i only use the centre button that looks like a mic in the playlist area for automix, plus the two white markers i think have something to register volume or the first/last bass beat...

also not sure if the feature your trying is usable only in pro editon and not demo... someone may come in with a bit more knowledge for you...

Tayla

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 6:18 pm
I appreciate your efforts.

To my knowledge, the center button (with the mic) just "toggles" the automix mode, so it shouldn't (and in fact for me it doesn't) matter whether I activate the automix mode with either one of them.

What exactly do you use the two white markers for? How do you use them?

My problems are exactly those white markers - as they sometimes appear too far from the beginning of the song or too far from the end, respectively. Automixing for me always starts the songs at this first white marker and ends them at the second marker - but what I want is that is starts from the very beginning of the song and plays it until the very end. In other words - everything would be fine if the first marker was always at the very beginning of the song and the second marker at the very end. But even with the option "Auto Cue" turned off, VirtualDJ sometimes sets the markers too far away from the ends.

My goal is to play the songs *completely* in "unattended automix mode".

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 9:43 pm
hi mate

sorry dont think thats gonna happen as far as i can tell automix picks up on volume levels fade in/ fade out or on the bass beat, you could try a longer fade in see if that works or you may have to set your own cue points, me i could'nt be arsed with that for what i use it for, anyway hang about someone else maybe able to give you better directions on this...best of luck...

Tayla

Inviato Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 10:05 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Extrapulating from what you have said above what you really want to do is get rid of the cue marks so you can play the whole tune. (I Think)

How do you get rid of cue marks?

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 12:32 am
Well, you are right, this is one way of looking at it. To be more precise - I want to get rid of them when automix is activated. When I *de*activate automix, it plays the whole song (as no cue markers are displayed), but without manual interaction the playback stops after each song (of course).

As soon as I activate automix, the white cue markers appear, sometimes in the middle of the song - I either want to get rid of the cue markers, or have them be located at the very beginning and end of the song, respectively. So that the whole song is played, before crossfading kicks in some seconds before the end, and the next song starts from the very beginning.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 8:15 am
Ok I see what you are saying. I had to manually edit my ins and outs with my videos as they were the only ones I cared about. You load the song, Select edit BPM, Edit automix, Select Mix Fade and make sure there are no check marks on Mix Cut or Mix Tempo. You then put your mouse on where you want the start point to be and select Select Entry point and you do the same for the exit point. I know this is a lot of work but it is a workaround for what you are tryin to do. What I do is I make a list of what I wanna play and edit those before I go and do the rest. I have been usin the automix for quite awhile and dont really see an issue, but others may. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask as we are here to help.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 9:39 am
I appreciate your efforts.

So you are saying that - to your knowledge - there is no way (without the heavy manual work you mention) to "deactivate" the autocueing in combination mit automixing completely so that all songs are by default played in full length? It seems a little ridiculous that for this special case (which is no cue marks at all, or with other words default to beginning and end) I have to manually set the cue marks for all songs there manually...

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 9:52 am
A easy way to clear all Cue's must exist?

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:22 am
blootplazma

hi again, its like what i was saying earlier^ if you wanted tunes to come in right at the beginning with no cue points you may come to a situation when your away from the decks where you may have a very long and slow build/fade in time where it may actually seem to the audience that you have forgot to put a tune on quite embarassing in that circumstance that is why automix will set its start point where it thinks that the music is at an audible level vice versa on fade outs, other than that you will have to make your own cue points as i have already stated...hope that helps...

Tayla

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:33 am
if your are DJ'ing at a club for dancing I fully agree. In my case, it is more like "background pop music" for mid-age audiences, however, and people hate to hear only half of the song...

Anyway, this is exactly what trial versions are good for - and in this case it seems like I must continue to look for a software more suitable for my use case.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:37 am
blootplazma

just had a good read through this thread again correct me if i'm wrong it looks like your wanting automix to cut & chop your set for you if thats the case a bit of advice, "you only get out what you put in"...

Tayla

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:40 am
blootplazma

Why don't you just use Windows Media Player with a play list and use the crossfader on that. It will do exactely what you want.

View > Enhancements > Cross fading and auto volume.

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:50 am
blootplazma

i've been around since there was only the black stuff that you could use and have used different software programmes since, i first noticed atomix as vdj was then known years ago and still in its infancy at the time it was'nt what i was looking for and left it alone and used other software right up until febuary 2007 where by chance i came back across it had a look see and bought it, i can't find any other software that will give you the scope of using audio/video & karaoke with all the other pluggins that you can get all in one package, the point i'm making, most if not all programmes when set on automix will cut beginning and end off when searching for that first decirnable audio signal unless you physically adjust it yourself and give the programme new parameters to work from.

anyway hope you find what your looking for but have a think on whats been said it may save you some time consuming searches of the net... best of luck mate...

Tayla

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 11:34 am
@PDF50: Because I want additional functionality: two separate decks (in particular prelistening of upcoming track on separate channel), pitching, ... Ideally, I would also have a simple sample player for jingels etc.

@tayla: I don't exactly understand what you mean by "cut&chop". I would say that I exactly do *not* want any cutting or chopping, I just wnat that all songs are played through completely, unless I tell the programm (manually) to do otherwise.

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry blootplazma no email address is allowed from a demo user

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 12:07 pm
Manual Intervention. You never mentioned that. That is more difficult.

If you usually play the same tracks using automix why not just record a set and play this on Deck A and you can use Deck B for the manual intervention

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 12:16 pm
Thank you all for your patience with me ;-)

Well, let me briefly try to tell you what my DJ'ing is like:
- the play lists are ad-hoc and highly influenced by requests from the audience (therefore, no prerecording possible). I usually have one or two songs "in advance", and manually add songs from the archive as they are requested, sometimes "reordering" them.
- In contrast to traditional DJ'ing, subsequent songs typically are *not* alike at all regarding the beat, so I typically do not need any beat-matching etc.
- Instead, people want to hear the full song, including intros and fade-outs. The crossfading at the end is just to make the transition between songs a little more "smooth".
- Only in very few cases (e.g., the end of the songs just fades out *too* long), I would manually trigger the crossfade before the song is over. Also, if I find out the the majorityx of the audience doesn't like the song, I might end it prematurely by triggering the next song manually.
- At the same time, I sometimes need to prelisten requested songs or, very rarely, to add manual cue points.
- Still the decks should play out on two different channels via an external mixer (I agree this might not make a lot of sense [Why not use the same channel the whole time?], but my boss wants it that way...)

Inviato Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 12:29 pm
43%