Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Question About Virtual DJ - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Why is it that most of the top djs in the world use rane serato. My cousin has virtual dj and its ok, nothing to brag about. If virtual dj makes there own interface and make changes on the skin to look more professional, then they would attract the best DJs to use it. I live in New York city and the best DJs in the world come from here. None of them use virtual dj. They all use serato. Why does serato sell......? because they have theyre own interface and it works very well and doesnt let you down. Virtual dj doesnt have theyre own stuff so they have to depend other companies hardware. Thats why many have trouble with configuration. They try to make their software to work with other companies hardware because they are so cheap and dont want to spend money making its own interface.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 5:22 am
I can tell you me and a friend of mine got in to a conversation about that. (Hes also a DJ). He told me that Rane makes a lot of mixers and hardware for night clubs. So of course, if Rane is developing a software, what do you think they are going to buy? Serato. Top DJs got in to these club, and guess what they are going to see running....Serato. Serato is a worse memory hogger than Tractor (or just as bad). There was a DJ that flew down here from New York. He was Djing a "Platinum" Wedding. He had Serato on his laptop. You know what he said? He said a lot of times it freezes on him. And it slows down the computer. He can't minimize it (let say to download a song off the internet if it's a SPECIAL request) to go to another program. The whole system has to be dedicated to Serato.

Though he was using a Windows based PC. I think most DJs use Serato on a Macbook Pro I've seen.

You do have an interested point though. Plus Serato is expensive. Does it have Auto BPM/BPM Mapper like Virtual? I don't think it does.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 5:37 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I prefer VDJs interface to Serato's. it is a different tool for a different job. Serato does not have a beat sync feature so you need to be a more of a traditional mixer when mixing house/dance. VDJ is the way of the future, the interfaces are better. VDJ has a wider selection of sound cards to use, unlike Serato. And VDJ has been on the forefront of video for a while now. Serato is just getting in the video game. VDJ is the way to go for me.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 5:50 am
I djyed with serato and it doesnt freeze up on me. If you have a cheap laptop it will. My friend has a mac pro and it freezes up only for like 3 seconds only when loading up a song on each side then works fine. I have a laptop that doesnt feeze at all. Its super fast and serato works awsome. To market something, it has to be ready for the world. Virtual dj isnt because they dont have their own hardware. How is virtual dj gonna make the software work 100 percent if they dont have their own hardware to try it on and fix the glitches and improve the setings. They might fix glitches with the hercules. But what about the other intefaces that say they are asio compatable and give problems with virtual dj. If i was the owner of virtual dj, i would have made a good interface a long time ago so i can fully improve the software. Something complete sells more than something that is incomplete.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 6:20 am
Serato doesn't do music videos either.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 6:32 am
To Dj in a club, you have to use something that is very reliable. Why would the best dj like Kid capri, funk master flex, camilo, Grand master flash, Jazzy jeff, jazzy jay, jam master jay, green l;antern, red alert, and hundreds more you serato. If you ask them about Virtual Dj, they would say What ??........ The proff is out there and many are blind to see it. Go to sam ash, go to guitar center, I dj now, top dj gear and many stores and see that the number one dj software and hardware is serato. Virtual dj looks cool but they need to d alot more then just making DJ software.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 6:33 am
I bet you if they saw VDJ, it would change there perspective ;-)... but my reason? I am not about to spend $800 on software. ...and... don't have anything else better to do?

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 6:38 am
sreato is 569 for software and inteface, Numark virtual vinyll is 499 for software and interface. M-audio torq is 299 with software and interface, traktor is 499 with software and interface. Virtual dj is 300 bucks for software only . Maybe if you add two of these you will get 800 but there is no such thing as 800 for one dj software . Some people dont like to face the facts that the real djs are using serato.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 7:17 am
You should buy what you like, I love my Virtualdj the best programm on the market!
Enjoy it

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 7:56 am
Real Dj's use virtual Dj, PCDJ, Trakktor, and a host of others (some would say real dj's don't use software at all, only records).

Some "real" race car drivers drive ferrarri, some mcclaren, some jaguar.......
Some "real" sports stars prefer the clear cream over the needle..........
Some "real" singers prefer memorex over tdk.........

Spin with what you choose, it's your show, your software choice......

By the way, if Serratto is soooooo much better why are you on this board feeling threatened so much you need to try to convince us of that fact? I personally think Serratto sucks unless you think moving a record back and forth making wikki wikki noises is the only thing that makes you a good dj.

Also there are thousands of GREAT dj's that come from everywhere BUT New York....we just don't all want to be famous, famous and good are not always synonomous and if you didn't have a New Yorker's star worship attitude you would know that.............

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 8:56 am
you're preaching to the wrong crowd. i like virtual dj, its what ive used since i started djing so of course im bias towards it. serato seems to only allow the ppl who have mastered vinyl to use it, virtual dj caters for all djs need. whether beginning or advanced. vinyl cdjs laptop only video - skins are made so ppl can customise there own interface to suit them. sampler, effects....... do i need to go on?

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 10:33 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Seing is beliving and im yet to belive its uncrashable all the time no program is , and all i know is that in london when i asked for a sterato demonstration they wouldnt let me touch the unit , becuase they where worried it would crash ,

which it later did , during a product demo session nice..

and the same thing happened infront of about 600 people at the american show

now i dont assume that this means that all copies of sterato dont work , they obviously do
we dont come onto your forums saying it sucks because of it,

please return us the professional courtesy by posting that because ocasionaly issues ocur the software sucks , becuase on that logic so does sterato,

if sterato works for you good, but please allow others to make their own decisions based on what suits them

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 11:37 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
OK, ok -- first the premise of this thread is way OFF. It has nothing to do with Serato and them having their own Hardware (SL-1 or TM-57) what ever it is.....

First off, as so very well articulated in the first 4 or so posts; it boils down to how much of a computer the person wants to invest in to run the software - PERIOD.

Second, the success of the computer not having problems over time; comes from how much the person is willing to LEARN about how to keep that system functioning properly - Yes, becoming a little geeky in computers can make your life a lot easier as a digital DJ.

Third, NOW we can talk hardware; and I think this is where Serato get the shaft but yes they also have an advantage because the software is tested to their interfaces. They get shafted because there are better sound interfaces out there.

Now as far as features, by far Serato is playing catch-up to VirtualDJ; however, if you don't know what they have or what's on the table to release I would watch what you say. They have video, not as good as VirtualDJ. They have a BPM detection, again not as good as VirtualDJ. My point is once they have it they can only improve on it.

Serato was the first and the premiere tool straight out of the box to grab the Vinyl DJ. VirtualDJ started the other direction. Straight out of the box it's intent was to grab the Digital Audiophiles that wanted to mix their music in with the digital medium. The cool thing now is that even though they started at two different points the companies are headed towards the same point and it will be interesting to see who gets there first.

And for Caliente123 - your one statement of "real DJs use Serato" -- might just want to watch how you say that... There are a lot of REAL DJs and they are not CLUB Circuit DJs and they don't use Serato. Hell they are barely using VirtualDJ. So, just watch your tone on what you say. And in the US the CLUB Circuit DJ does prefer Serato over VirtualDJ. But, I guarantee it's right there nipping at it's heals.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 12:39 pm
on the subject of dj software i know a dj that still runs off winamp how bad is that!!!!

Virtual dj is on top at moment there is competition coming around the corner but vdj has the edge for now!!!

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 1:27 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
There is a camp out there that would argue real djs dont use software at all. That notion is pretty silly this day and age though.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 1:31 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Caliente123 wrote :
Why would the best dj like Kid capri, funk master flex, camilo, Grand master flash, Jazzy jeff, jazzy jay, jam master jay, green l;antern, red alert, and hundreds more you serato.

Because they are paid to do so. You might not understand everything about marketing but its one thing that Rane does very well. These djs are givin the software to use why would they pay for something if they can get it for free. You can think what you want but the truth of the matter is most if not all of the djs are on the serato payroll.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 1:39 pm
Caliente123 wrote :
Why is it that most of the top djs in the world use rane serato. My cousin has virtual dj and its ok, nothing to brag about. If virtual dj makes there own interface and make changes on the skin to look more professional, then they would attract the best DJs to use it. I live in New York city and the best DJs in the world come from here. None of them use virtual dj. They all use serato. Why does serato sell......? because they have theyre own interface and it works very well and doesnt let you down. Virtual dj doesnt have theyre own stuff so they have to depend other companies hardware. Thats why many have trouble with configuration. They try to make their software to work with other companies hardware because they are so cheap and dont want to spend money making its own interface.

Where do I start....

Firstly, a close friend of mine used to DJ with serato (now he's on VDJ), I used serato lots and was about to buy it until I found numark virtual vinyl (kinda wish I knew about VDJ before I bought it). Serato has just as much issues as other software DJ solutions and I've watched other DJ's having their issues while on stage performing with serato. Configuration problems, crashing, the works. Some software has issues in some areas, some have issues in other areas. I've tried quite a lot of different types of software now and I keep coming back to VDJ/VV. But each to their own.

Secondly, I like the skin better than serato, it seems more defined and nicer to look at, not so dogs breakfast like serato is and hey, you can change skins anyway. Its personal preferance really I guess.

Thirdly, I've never had an interface issue with VDJ/VV and I've used a few different soundcards etc with it now, they all seem to work with it fine, which for me, is the best part. I like being able to use whatever soundcard/interface I please. The main interface I use now is a Korg ZERO 4 which is the shiz. I can have VDJ on 2 channels and another couple of turntables and/or CDJ's or even another application running on my laptop to the other channels. The possibilities are endless and it works flawlessly.

And Finally, WTF? the best DJ's in the world come from NY? spoken like a true NY'er, you gotta get out more, seriously!

In addition to that, I've got Rane wanting to sponsor me but I'm not sure I want to switch back to Serato, I like VDJ/VV a hell of a lot now, the features are just so much better IMO. Once you start playing with it you'll see there's so much more versatility.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 2:33 pm
disc jockey

“DJ” redirects here. For other uses, see DJ (disambiguation).
A disc jockey (also disk jockey or DJ) is a person who selects and plays prerecorded music for an audience. Many DJs also speak to the audience, either to give the names of the songs and information about the performers (radio DJs) or to rap or chant along with the music (reggae DJs).

There are several types of DJs: radio DJs play music that is broadcast on AM, FM, shortwave or digital radio stations; club DJs select and play music in a club, disco, a rave, or even a stadium; hip hop disc jockeys select, play and create music with multiple turntables as a hip-hop artist and/or performer, often backing up one or more MCs; a reggae disc jockey (deejay) is a vocalist who raps, toasts, or chats over pre-recorded rhythm tracks; and mobile disc jockeys travel with mobile sound systems and play from an extensive collection of pre-recorded music.

^Thats definition comes from wikopedia^ :-) Says nothing about mixing or scratching, that's just an added bonus.
;-)

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 2:45 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

@Caliente123 simply answer,

Don't use VDJ then,

And this saying "the best DJ's come from New york", this make's me very mad,

What a load of B******S.

Jimmy b

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 4:38 pm
don't know why the moderators haven't closed this topic yet. it is a little rediculous.

Inviato Wed 19 Sep 07 @ 4:47 pm
38%