Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: What makes a Superstar DJ

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I've been at work watching a whole bunch of youtube video of different DJ's... I can understand the difference in the urban DJ superstars but I can't figure out what would make a person into a great techno / house DJ. Isn't the philosophy the same in mixing. I'm not trying to be a smartass. I really want to know.

I've heard some VDJ radio djs. So what sets people apart.

Inviato Mon 24 Mar 08 @ 4:22 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Its a little of a lot of different pieces Fat. Self promotion is a big part of it, but not all. Knowing your music and genre is another part. Putting in the hours and hours of practice is yet another facet of it. Since I joined Radio I have improved beyond anything I ever thought was possible before. Luck also comes into play, being in the right place at the right time. Mostly, just like every other facet of Life its about working for it. The old saying about nothing is easy if its worth doing rings true even in DJing. Do you think Tiesto walks on stage cold? He at least has an idea of what he is doing, call it an outline.

I know personally I always have my sets planned out for Radio. I mark the cue points for breaks and sample drop locations. And practice the blends at least three times before the set. Dunno if it helps,, but it makes me feel better when its time to hit record. I hope in some small way that helps you Fat. T

Inviato Mon 24 Mar 08 @ 4:58 pm
Thanks for the response and feedback. But what the difference between one our VDJers vs them. What set them apart from everyone else with the same skill - besides luck.

Inviato Mon 24 Mar 08 @ 5:04 pm
it's our sparkling personality.. just ask AMAHM.

to tell you the truth i honestly dont see the big attraction with Tiesticles. even listening to his early stuff i wasnt that impressed, but i guess if you pack a few thousand people into a venue and give them flashy lights to look at so that the X has better colors... (and by the way, i hardly see people actually dancing in those video clips i keep seeing on winamp.. at least not until they know the camera is on them...hmmm)

promotion, personality, skill, exposure, word of mouth, advertising, learning how to read a crowd and proving that you can read a crowd, and a nicely consistant crowd to read. other than that, not getting stuck as a resident so you're tied down to one crowd/one building. after 10 years in the same place i wouldnt mind a change, but i think having job security counts more in this world right now.

eh.. maybe it is all luck. who knows. will have to wait til sky writes a guide...

Inviato Mon 24 Mar 08 @ 9:25 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
thank you wildcountry... it makes me seeth everytime the words 'world famous dj' and Tiesto are used in the same sentance. sure he's big, he has a great manager who is one of the biggest arses you'll ever meet. brilliant manager for getting him big bucks but a complete wanker. for Tiesto, it was his manager that got him to the top.

bit of a history story, i was living in holland when tiesto was making illegal mix cds and selling them on the black market. they were pretty good trance cds. then the owner of the awakenings group (one of the large party organisations) wrapped his porsche around a tree. the wake for this dude was the infamous 'black party'. it was a huge success and this was tiesto's break. at some point after that he connected with his manager who has been working him like a 2 dollar whore. he changed his style of music and stage presence. i dont know about today, but for the longest time tiesto never made his own music, he made deals that local artists would shadow-write for him and he would put his name on other peoples music. he is like the 'new kids on the block' of trance dance music. appeals to the masses by creating oversimplistic shite which appeals to people with no soul or feeling to music.

there are alot of megasuperstars who make their money on status quo music, he is one of them. they may be superstars for some reason, but they will be forgotten after they are retired because the music has nothing which will anchor them in history. only my opinion

Inviato Mon 24 Mar 08 @ 10:37 pm

Here is a good explaination i've found... some of you express the same comments.

Inviato Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 11:57 am
Self-love!!... I should be a great DJ, I been loving myself since age 13. I'm gonna make millions!!!

Inviato Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 4:33 pm
Have you gotten you eyes checked lately. Your probably going blind with all the self love.

Inviato Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 4:41 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
fatkatzdj wrote :
Have you gotten you eyes checked lately. Your probably going blind with all the self love.

No Fat, but TD is the only DJ I know with razor stubble on his palms......

Inviato Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 4:46 pm
No stubble, Nair keeps the palms smooth as baby's ass.

Inviato Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 10:10 am
pietergHome userMember since 2008
Getlemen, are we not wavering from the actual topic perhaps.

In a club environment what sets 1 dj dj apart from another? Besides the obvious things like music genre & mixing skill does "presence" not play a role. I am so tired of seeing so-called "djs" act as human jukeboxes. I've seen DJs that actually connect with the crowd & gets the party going, not just standing behind the decks waiting to press play for the next "top of the pops" tune. If I have to drop a name to use as example. Mauro Picotto. If you can't stand out from the crowd in a club don't expect to become a stadium filling megastar DJ.

I also see Tiesto being mentioned a few times in this thread. Sure he might have been in the right place at the right time, has good management and utlilised various means of marketing himself but, he did it and has become a DJ superstar. So keeping this in mind why are a few (perhaps jealous) people slagging someone who has reached a level of success instead of learning from his success & following suit.

In closing, Tiesto also has "presence". Think about it....

Inviato Thu 29 May 08 @ 4:27 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006

Inviato Fri 30 May 08 @ 1:42 am
good read.. : )

Inviato Fri 30 May 08 @ 10:32 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
What makes a Superstar DJ, well I'd say 3 things,

Skill, abit of Luck, and good management.

Inviato Fri 30 May 08 @ 10:44 am
Can you be a superstar and not know anything about being a producer.

Inviato Fri 30 May 08 @ 2:33 pm
of course i can.

Inviato Fri 30 May 08 @ 5:49 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
hehe, wildcountry is right. ever see gulliver's travels? you can be a superstar anywhere as long as the town is small enough ;-)

but in truth, if you mean superstar globally, the answer is veritably no. these days the bigtime doesnt consider djs who dont produce because there needs to be something that sets them apart from the 10 million other wannabes who are vibing for the title.

but if you're djing because you want to be a superstar, my advice is to give up now while you can. superstars become becaue they are, not because they want to be. it's about the music first, forget the rest. if you cant see that, then ur barking up the wrong tree from the start.

Inviato Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 10:52 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)