Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: real turntables... fun fun - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

i finally got to hop on a real set of turntables last night for the very first time. that was suhweeet. :) i've never touched anything mixing related until i got atomix in january. i got on the turntables for two sets.. i trainwrecked a bunch the first time but the second time i got the hang of it and actually had a few songs beatmatched.. i was so excited to just do that.. haha. i've been spoiled by atomix

phatty720
dave

Inviato Sun 21 Apr 02 @ 9:38 pm
NaDeRHome userMember since 2002
yup turntables are sweet

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 12:18 am
I still have yet to try !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have dreams about trying them out for the first time (I'm serious !!) !!!!!!!!!

Have you tried CD players at all ?

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 2:13 am
i haven't used cd players yet, only time i sort of did was just messin' around with 'em in a store. that's about it. i don't have the scratch for regular turntables or digital ones. that's why i have to use stuff like atomix

phatty720
burton

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 2:54 am
phatty whats yer real name ? (i like to communicate with people on a first-name basis rather than alias). Its more friendly that way =)

I'm dave by the way

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 5:53 am
I started on turntables, went to atomix, and then back.. I just love the control... noone understands, they like to go on, and on about this being the future..... but I just love it. So keep your MP3's outta my club, they only play when I decide they do, vinyl is just more fun if you have any skill.

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 9:04 am
what's up trip. my name is dave too. i agree saint james.. turntables are sooooo much more fun that atomix. i just believe both that the advantages and disadvantages. i just don't have the dough, so for me atomix is great. but if i had the money i would definitely have turntables already :)

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 9:44 am
I am TOTALLY against vinyl for so many reasons. But I can totally see why its fun. And it looks WAY cool too, seeing a DJ drop down and cue records like that. But it is expensive.

The way I look at it is ... you can put the money you'd be spending in 1200's and records on a better CD-Player or a nicer mixer ?!!!

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 4:21 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I still celebrate the day I finally found the last CD I needed to leave the turntables at home. (It was in a used CD rack even) I have always found CD's to be a lot more fun to mix than Vinyl, and I sure don't miss the pops and hisses on the older peices. I also celebrate the day I finally had enough faith to bring the CD's in from the van, pick out 20 or so for emergency back-up, and just carry the laptop. I'm looking forward to the day when I'll feel confident enough to remove those 20 back-up CD's from my computer bag, and the Denon 2600 from my console. It barely gets any use at all anymore, but once a month or so I am VERY glad I have it even if it is just for 1-2 tracks during a re-boot.
(I also remember the day I sold my Technics turntables for more than I paid for them.) I love the guys who mourn for the old days of djing... they help keep my cast off equipment valuable.

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 6:52 pm
mhvuHome userMember since 2003
My setup is:
1 mixer (Vestax 170A)
1 DJ CDPlayer (Numark Axis 8) - borrowed from friend
2 turntables (STR8-100)
15 in LCD with Atomixmp3 & 20G of mp3
3 vinyl stacks
I used them all. Since my mixer have 6 audio input and 3 master input, I can plug all of these in.
So I can use 2 deck with Atomixmp3, or 2 decks with my turntables, or 1 turntable/1Atomix deck
or 1CDPlayer/1Atomixdeck or 1CDPlayer/1turntables.
Yep, it's fun

Inviato Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 7:34 pm
Trip.. Dave, whatever.. have you spun on Vinyl?

Impression... cool, I understand where your coming from, but I don't DJ for convenience. I like working with vinyl. Simple as that.. I have a CD decks, and I have atomix... but I prefer Vinyl. But, believe there are so many times, when I'm cartin' crates of records back and forth that I think about giving 'em up... but I'm just not there yet. So next time you have some tables to sell, or a crate of vinyl.. let me know... I'll take 'em.

Inviato Tue 23 Apr 02 @ 4:31 am
I have never tried vinyl (I have tried it once @ a music store without a cartridge). I am DYING to. I am actually more anxious to play around with a CD player. I really want to get one, so I can go mobile (i dont have a laptop yet).

I try to practise beatmathing on atomix and other programs like mixvibes, without using curve windows, bpm meters, auto-sync, etc. I can manage to do it OK, but I am sure a CD player is alot more fun than a software program.

Rick ... you actually find CD's more fun to mix with ?

Inviato Tue 23 Apr 02 @ 5:57 am
The only reason I would take CD's over Atomix is ergonomics. I like the feel (wonder why I prefer vinyl?), but I haven't tried the new hardware controller, infact I plan on buying it as soon as it's available. But that's just my opinion.

Inviato Tue 23 Apr 02 @ 8:13 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes Dave, I remember as CD's came into the business, the club I was working at had a set of the old Technics 1200 CD players. As I was changing over (the process took about a year) I hated those things. I used to say stuff like CD's will never replace Vinyl, blah, blah... Then I was the first kid on the block to buy a Denon 2000. Let the party begin!! This early DJ tool took CD mixing to a much better level. by jumping from the play to the stop button, you could produce little 4 beat loops, (try that with a chunk of scratched up vinyl). I was hooked. Then with each subsequent CD player that came out new and exciting features were added that made it even more fun. All in all, I'd say that CD's were a lot more fun to spend 4 hours with in front of a group of people who wanted to dance. AND, Atomix is just about as much fun as CD's were, and like CD's it gets more fun with each new release.
But, that's just my opinion. I'm sure that future posts here will point out how wrong I am.

Inviato Tue 23 Apr 02 @ 4:13 pm
I'm sorry, I tried to explain, that my opinion only applies to me. I think vinyl's more fun... and I'm right.. 'cause I'm talking about me. When we start to make broad generalizations about any medium, or any topic... we will always be wrong, because nothing is ever true on that broad of a scale. So while you might say vinyl is a thing of the past, you are wrong. But when you say Vinyl is a thing of the past for you, because you like working with CD's and atomix better, than you are absolutely correct.

Inviato Wed 24 Apr 02 @ 12:34 am
I TOTALLY see and agree with what you are saying. Everytime I get into the argument of CD's vs. Turntables ... I NEVER say, "Well in my opinion ..... " because my opinion maybe wrong in general or to someone else .... BUT ... I always emphasize and point out what IS TRUE without stating my opinion:

- Turntables are expensive
- Records pop, scratch, warp and collect dust
- Vinyl is an ANALOG format
- Crates of records are pretty damn heavy

Anyway time to break a sweat carrying my hard drive around.

Inviato Wed 24 Apr 02 @ 1:44 am
Besides Impression.. you have my respect because, you have spun on vinyl, and you know what you're missing. I just don't like seeing people talking about things they don't know about. So, please... if I ever sounded like I was trying to prove you wrong, or talk you down... I apologize.

Inviato Wed 24 Apr 02 @ 6:37 am
vinyl might be old but even with CD decks you still will probably end up buying it if you want cutting edge stuff. At least at the record stores i go to you just cant get stuff on CD til its really popular club anthem type stuff. I think some of you dj more of the mobile dj type thing for parties and not so much cutting edge techno and such right ? If so cd's would make a ton more sense.

personally i like vinyl for being able to get the latest cuts, and also i do alot of scratching and for that reason it works best. Lastly its so easy to cue a track with just holding the record and slip cuing, sure cdj1000's will do that but they are $1000 so no benifit over vinyl.

yeah i do hate spending money on vinyl, but it does sound the best on big systems (really) and i wish i could just load up some of the great mp3's i have, but alot are poor bitrates that sound bad live, or they are from mix cd's and dont have enough intro/exit time etc to mix properly

Lastly i like vinyl for being able to go to any club or rave and just bring my records and i can play and beatmatch. WIth CD's you have to hope they have cd players, or bring your own, and with MP3 your bringing your own pc and hoping it doesnt freeze up etc, never had a turntable stop working.

all formats are cool but i just find vinyl to be the best, however i am planning on getting a cd deck with the big jog wheel and such to use as a third source for those things i cant get on vinyl

Inviato Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 6:53 am
I don't know where you people get this info that Vinyl sounds better ...

Reality check: Vinyl is a very primitive recording medium. The artifacts, pops, and lack of dynamic range make Vinyl far inferior to CD. CD's sampling rates and 16-bit word length provide *more* information than the human ear can detect. Audio compression proves that you can remove up to 4/5th of the data from a CD and still come up with equal sound quality in a blind test using real world material.

Inviato Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 3:39 pm
vinyl has a "wamer" sound. it might not be technically better, but its less harsh and steril on the highs, and in a large club you can really tell the difference. Vinyl or the stylus particuallry usually roll off a bit of the high end and thusly the sound isnt as shrill. Yes you can get cd's to sound just as good with eq'ing but thats not the point. Also if you've got new vinyl you dont get pops and clicks honstly.

Lastly vinyls still the format for the newest releases. Check out all the dj top 10 playlist and tell me how many of those tracks you can get on cd, unless you burn it to cd from the vinyl in the first place. I would totally buy cd's if stuff came in that format but at least for the music i spin its still almost always coming out on vinyl only still

Inviato Thu 25 Apr 02 @ 8:53 pm
87%