Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ v4: does anybody still use the "Add MP3 CD" in the local database? - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
The title says it all.
We are working on a new engine for the localdatabase.
The actual engine dates back from 1998, where computer DJs usually had their MP3 collection burned onto CDs (remember, 200Mb harddrive where common at that time ;). That's why at that time the localdatabase was used to be able to locate on which CD one particular song was located.
Obviously, I don't think anybody is still using a CD collection of MP3s anymore, but just to make sure: can we remove the "Scan CD" and "Delete CD" options from the local database, or is anyone using that for a useful reason I might have overlooked?

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:16 am
As far as I am concerned you can.

MS

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:21 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The option has no use to me, never used it.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:22 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
didnt even know it existed

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:34 am
Now that you have explained it to me, I know I don't need it.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 4:29 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I use the "delete cd" (right click) in fact this command can delete drive letters/partitions from the
search database and not only "cd's", i don't care if it say cd or something else, but just keep it that simple and functional in the new engine.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 4:40 am
yeah the delete CD option could just be renamed or whatever... but keep that function to were we can delete the drive letters or all the database if needed.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 5:19 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
actually, i stumbled across it.. and i do use it once in a while actually...

my vote is to keep it unless it takes away from anything else or slows down, etc.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 6:52 am
Inserting the cd during playback can freeze your PC due to poor drive quality, dirty lenses etc. PC is like that, if the Cd-drive (or DVD) cannot read from a media, it will block system. So, this option can be removed, simply, everyone smart will pack files on a hdd before a gig.
Dj Alf

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 8:32 am
Some time ago I used it a lot, while I had the most played and popular songs on my laptop harddrive. Then I had lots of other stuff on cd / dvd. If I needed something, then I could insert the cd in the laptop and play the song.
For me you could remove this, then I just have to take my external harddrive with me all the time. Which I do always lately
Ewout

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 1:23 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you get rid of this feature, would that mean that you are also getting rid of the feature whereby we can pop an audio into the drive and play the individual tracks from it? That feature is necessary at least for me. Very often a customer will request a particular song that only they have; maybe from their own demo, etc.
I know I should have a regular CD player with me for this purpose, but I have to say that VDJ is so stable for me, that I haven't even brought a hardware backup with me for 90% of my gigs over the past year or so. If VDJ can't play CD's then I will have to increase the size of my rig.
Please don't get rid of that feature.

-Frd

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:14 pm
.. just need access to cd´s from virtual dj - whether its audio or mp3..

Use sometimes when I am out, and a person got some specific music they want to listen to.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 4:10 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Dev Staff is just refering to removing the CD option from the local database.., the CD can still be played in VDJ by locating the drive through desktop>My computer>Drive letter. If I ever need to use a CD this is how I access it.

If you really use your CD drive a lot for playing music in VDJ, you could set your CD drive/drives as favourite, and have one click access all the time.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 4:37 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
If it helps the programm run better, faster more stable and you can still play cds, either audio or mp3, what is use use in cluttering the screen? Get rid of it. It's got to reduce a few lines of code right?

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 4:26 am
Is there any chance of having 2 local databases? I have my karaoke stuff on the exsisting local database and would love another local database for my dj stuff so I can keep both collections seperate from each other!!

Cheers!

Rob

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 4:30 am
@bobster,
you could do it in the current version. Create 2 main folders, something like Karaoke and mp3 and insert the proper files (and directories) in these folders. Then within VDJ create 2 favourite folders of both winsows folders. On the favourite folders, click right and select "show all". Now select for example your karaoke folder and search. You will only get your karaoke files.
Ewout

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 12:35 pm
ReTangoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
no problem at all for me if you remove it...

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 4:31 pm
As long as you can still play a cd using vd, go head and remove it.

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 4:51 pm
yup it's fine w/ me. dont use it at all.

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 8:04 pm
I don't use it at all as my set up has a desktop cd player in the case as an emergency back up and also to play mixed albums for the first part of a function.

However one feature I would definately appreciate is an easy way to export the database into another programme ie excel or word. My website is linked to djintelligence.com which carries a generic database but your own can be added.

I have had the current method of extracting an xml database file explained in a previous thread but I can't get my head round it, and I consider myself to be a relatively proficient computer user.

Tony

Inviato Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 10:46 pm
67%