Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: All this chatter about the Numark NS7....Who has one? - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I was going to ask the same question .....

When I bought the DN-HC4500 there was a company called audiosuite working on drivers for BPM Studio but never got anywhere. It came with Reflex (tie in with Denon) which was abyzmal. At least the 4500 was saved by VDJ and the JPBoggis mapper. If denon had locked it to Reflex it would be a dead piece of junk. I can see the NS7 ending up the same if programs like VDJ cannot unlock it's power.

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 11:11 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Reflex it would be a dead piece of junk. I can see the NS7 ending up the same if programs like VDJ cannot unlock it's power.

i doubt that highly. serato is more than capable in keeping dj's happy. I for one dont even gig with virtual dj anymore since i got the vci-300 and itch.
for VDJ to work with the NS7 all they need to do is upgrade the midi for the platters ( or what ever the technical jargon would be) however asking about updates is a touchy subject on this forum but i bet serato and itch will have video and effects before VDJ updates

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 12:34 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
sirkitbreaker wrote :
i bet serato and itch will have video and effects before VDJ updates

Don't hold your breath to long on that one ... It's taken Serato over a year to just now make video work with the SL-1 box and that is only because the demand to buy the $199 V-SL was weak and another company built a video add-on for SSL for users with only the SL-1 box. Also, their video format requirements are very stringent. Also, at the release of ITCH there we statements by Serato that the V-SL plugin would not be made compatible with ITCH. Now never say never, but I highly doubt anytime in the very near future that Serato will bring the power of VirtualDJ's video support to the ITCH platform.

Also, with all the speculation of NS7 controller with VirtualDJ in the future - the NS7 is first and foremost a MIDI device. It ships with ITCH because Numark partnered with Serato to build a complete package. That was their chosing. So, can VirtualDJ build support for it? Sure we can. When will it come? Can't answer that. Could be soon - could be later.

And, What DJ Cyder was eluding to is that sometime these partnerships are a one shot situation - Hardware + Software (version at release) and that is it. Improvements to the software get thrown by the waste-side even if the software as a stand-alone product gets improved. Bug fixes maybe, major improvements less likely. So, can't speak on behalf of Numark and don't know if that is the case in this situation, but it does happen.

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 1:31 pm
cstoll wrote :
sirkitbreaker wrote :

. Also, at the release of ITCH there we statements by Serato that the V-SL plugin would not be made compatible with ITCH. .

that is only half the quote. the actual statement is video is in the works and it will not be a plug-in like the v-sl cause it would be intergrated in ITCH.

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 3:27 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
cstoll wrote :
sirkitbreaker wrote :

. Also, at the release of ITCH there we statements by Serato that the V-SL plugin would not be made compatible with ITCH. .

that is only half the quote. the actual statement is video is in the works and it will not be a plug-in like the v-sl cause it would be intergrated in ITCH.

We will agree - time will tell. Not trying to be negative towards Serato. They have a product that has users just like we do. If they see the demand and it will help their bottom-line it will be added. The question is only a matter of when .. the same question everyone asks us when they don't see what they want.

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 3:53 pm
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
cstoll wrote :

Also, with all the speculation of NS7 controller with VirtualDJ in the future - the NS7 is first and foremost a MIDI device. It ships with ITCH because Numark partnered with Serato to build a complete package. That was their chosing. So, can VirtualDJ build support for it? Sure we can. When will it come? Can't answer that. Could be soon - could be later.

What does it depend on this time of developing a native mapper from?

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 3:58 pm
The reason why they lock it down is because you can easily pinpoint a problem. Virtual dj in the other hand takes more time to find a problem because you have options of using different controllers and sounds cards. Locking it down and focusing on one means its gonna work flawless. 1 to 1 is way better than universal. Universal is not on point. You may not always get what you want in features but it all comes down to Dj ying...

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 4:00 pm
sischo wrote :
cstoll wrote :

What does it depend on this time of developing a native mapper from?

The same thing that it always depends on - either support from the manufacture with the right information to build the right integration as Caliente123 just pointed out. Or, hands on the unit so your can pound on it and find all the information the manufacture wouldn't give you to start with.

And if you are trying to get a Yes or No out of me, I will only talk in hypotheticals. And, can not confirm or deny the existance of the possibilities.

I enjoy you guys - but I can not say ... boy, would that be hypocritical if I did !

Chris

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 4:14 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Caliente123 wrote :
The reason why they lock it down is because you can easily pinpoint a problem. Virtual dj in the other hand takes more time to find a problem because you have options of using different controllers and sounds cards. Locking it down and focusing on one means its gonna work flawless. 1 to 1 is way better than universal. Universal is not on point. You may not always get what you want in features but it all comes down to Dj ying...

Yes and no.

Yes it may be a more reliable 1 to 1, but still not 100% and don't believe it for one second.

Now, when you look at the happy users with options like we offer, its a no.

Locking down hardware/software is becoming passe.
If you don't give people options, they will find them elsewhere unless you are using this software for its namesake on your namesake computer. (SSL on your Mac)
Nobody is going to win that war I'm afraid, and leave them be I guess.

The question I have with all of the good and bad about it is where does it fit?
I don't see it taking Serato's place in the clubs.
Most clubs booths are built around the turntables, so where do you put this thing?
Been there with my own gear, and it's a problem.
I don't see mobile dj's lugging this thing around either, but who knows?

So what happens when it goes down?
Do you buy two so you have a back up?
None of these last for ever, so then what?

Then we have the never ending craving for new gear.
So you have this unit and can't upgrade anything?
Not going to feel real good about selling or dumping it to get into new gear in any hurry.
Its worth 10 cents on the dollar then IF you can sell it.

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 4:16 pm
Virtual dj has been around for a long time and they have to move forward... Serato has been around alot less and it has so many user compared to Virtual. I have been to so many clubs an i haven't seen anyone using virtual dj.

When i say moving forward, They need to make a Virtual dj sound card and lock it just to that. Have two versions. The current one that allows you to use any controller etc and another locked to the interface. Why do you think serato is so sucsesful. Look at Trakktor to.
Eveytime a new controller comes out from a big company. Its states that it will work with serato and traktor.... Not virtual dj. Im not hating virtual dj but this is what i see... When they lock something, it works flawless. You will get a big time reputation of it not giving you a problem and slowly, you will have big companies knocking on the door to work with you. Working together to design a 1to 1 hardware and software like the NS7 or the VCI 300.... More money flowing in equlas better support and better support means better software/ DJ ying...

People didn't buy serato because of the name. They bought it because it just works with no problems. I'm not using a mac, i use PC and it works fine

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 4:37 pm
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
cstoll wrote :

The same thing that it always depends on - either support from the manufacture with the right information to build the right integration as Caliente123 just pointed out. Or, hands on the unit so your can pound on it and find all the information the manufacture wouldn't give you to start with.

And if you are trying to get a Yes or No out of me, I will only talk in hypotheticals. And, can not confirm or deny the existance of the possibilities.

No cstoll, I really don't care if VDJ will support in the future because I think I won't buy this controller; personally talking, I prefer much more timecode feature.
I just find very intereting this topic for learning better how companies work in the field of djing.

Are you saying that Numark can help Atomix revealing how its controller work?

Caliente123 wrote :

Virtual dj has been around for a long time and they have to move forward... Serato has been around alot less and it has so many user compared to Virtual. I have been to so many clubs an i haven't seen anyone using virtual dj.

Great topic Caliente123.
I think that Serato is spreading much faster than VDJ because Serato has given major attention to the marketing strategy: they have a lot of names who involutarily promote this software; Atomix has only socross who promotes by his videos.

I went to a gig of Dennis Ferrer and I was dreadfully surprised he doesn't use VDJ any longer but Ferrer is Ferrer, socross is noone in the dj world.
Yes, there is Coldcut as well but at least here in Italy he is not so famous.

I think the whole marketing approach should be re-analized or rather I would say Atomix doesn't have a marketing ploy at all.

Why didn't Atomix go to the Winter Music Conference??
I think this event should be one of the best spots where promoting stuff of DJ world with more than 6000 djs all around the world (I must say that I am not sure there are in WMC companies with its hardwares and/or softwares though so someone should tell me more about this event).
If so, according my little opinion, this has been a big mistake.

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 4:47 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
This is an amazing and informative discussion. I am a mobile DJ AND I work in clubs as resident DJ. I DO want th get a NS-7. I want to wait until I hear other peoples experiences with the unit. I do not like being a crash test dummy if I have to PAY for it. If Numark wanted me to test the NS-7 and provided me with the unit, CRASH TEST AWAY. Paying $1300 to crash test the thing...I think not. As interesting as this thread has become, I would like to re-direct.

"Everyone talked about it (including me).

WHO HAS IT.

How do you like it?

Come on...Spill it."

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 4:59 pm
dj city.... i know what you are asking but the point is the NS7 currently doesnt work well with anything other than ITCH so that is probably why there are not that many sightings in any other software forums

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 9:36 pm
I just took a look at the unit one more time and I think it would be a huge success if they cut it in 3 pieces: left deck+mixer+right deck. That way you can decide if you wanna take 1 deck to your work or 2 decks depending on situation. Anyway it's a great idea and a huge step forward in technology. Sometime in future time codes may become obsolete. We can only hope that someone will make more universal controller like this that will be compatible with VDJ. And it's better to use some new protocol like Expresscard or USB 3.0 because everything else is too old (not for midi but for sound quality and latency).

Inviato Fri 27 Mar 09 @ 9:51 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Caliente123 wrote :
They need to make a Virtual dj sound card and lock it just to that. Have two versions. The current one that allows you to use any controller etc and another locked to the interface. Why do you think serato is so sucsesful. Look at Trakktor to.
Eveytime a new controller comes out from a big company. Its states that it will work with serato and traktor.... Not virtual dj. Im not hating virtual dj but this is what i see... When they lock something, it works flawless.

Wow can I live in your perfect world? Serato isn't a hardware company just like Virtualdj isn't a hardware company. The sl1 isn't made by serato either and sorry to burst your bubble the sl-1 isn't the best soundcard by far. Anyways thanks for the consumer perspective on what Atomix should do in the future.

Inviato Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 8:24 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
djfilosoff wrote :
I just took a look at the unit one more time and I think it would be a huge success if they cut it in 3 pieces: left deck+mixer+right deck. That way you can decide if you wanna take 1 deck to your work or 2 decks depending on situation.

I've been saying exactly this ever since I first heard about this thing a year ago. I love the look of the decks, but the mixer's just too basic for what I need. Don't get me wrong, it looks very well built, but lacks the features I need, ie at least 3 channels plus a mic section, FX loop or insert points, talkover circuit for stage work, the list goes on.

Sooner or later, Pioneer will probably add the USB connectivity of the CDJ400 to their next full-size CDJ player. If they decide to add a motorised platter as well, it'll be game over. A pair of these players will give the user a proper vinyl-like experience, their own choice of mixer, a seamless integration with software via the USB connection, PLUS you can still stick a CD in it should your computer let you down...

Inviato Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 9:41 am
Hi Every one,

I think somebody asked who has it? How does it work? Is it reliable? HAs it crashed yet?

Ok here is my thing, I have used Virtual DJ from Day One. That was the way I Learned to mix, I have never used cds in the past,

I currently purchased the NS7, I personally dont think it is too big. I think it has the perfect size because it looks like a real pro but it is still portable. I also have the hercules and even when I like it it just looks like a toy and only if was a little bit bigger maybe i would not look like a bedroom dj. Going back to the NS7, I have been trying to understand the Itch program it comes with but I dont like the library features. I dont like the idea of not being able to type a artist/song/ genre and find anything that I am looking for. WIth Itch it is almost like you need to know the specific location where your music is at in order for you to play. So If I was Djing at a club and some one has a request I cant simply type the name of the song and play it right away. Maybe the system can do that but I am having a hard time to figure that out and I have read the manual and it doest not saying anything about intant search or what not. The NS7 has alot of loop in and loop out options which I like, but it doest not have addtional building buttton where you can load sound effect like hercules. I love to play the sirena/flanger/ double/ brake/ or reverse while djing because it allows me to change music style or music with different bpm pretty easy. Again, I have not have the NS7 for more than 5 days but so far the itch doest not have any of this build in effect that made me fall in love with Virtually djing and the computer factor. I think my perfect equipment will be to have hercules and ns7 all in one. So I will be able to have the spinning option looping but also builting effects and video all with virtual dj. This is the reason why I cant wait to see if NS7 is going to supported on virtual dj. I hope this helps and if anyone has any tutorials on how to effectively use the Itch program please attashed it in this forum so I can take a look into it.

Inviato Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 12:26 pm
I went to I DJ Now and i was messing around with the NS7. When you see it, you wouldn't believe its made by numark. It feels so good and its on point. The scratching is excellent too. I noticed an Aux input. If i buy it, i would use the Aux input for a portable cd player. Looking and loading up songs is easy. The size is really nice. Its not huge or small, just perfect.You can dj comfortable. The NS7 has a laptop stand in the back and it looks perfect. I believe that maybe itch will add the the sampler like seratos SP 6 onto the skin so you can add your effects. The data base is not hard to use. If you are looking for a song in your entire library, look to your top left where it says all " High lite all and now search by typing name of the song etc.

The NS7 is limted with inputs but playing Mp3's, you can kick some serious but with this unit

I use 2 Pioneer cdj 1000mk3, 2 techics 1200s, A Hc4500 controller and im impressed with The NS7...

Inviato Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 2:47 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Very interesting reports guys.

Inviato Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 2:50 pm
frankcc26 wrote :
Hi Every one,

I I dont like the idea of not being able to type a artist/song/ genre and find anything that I am looking for. WIth Itch it is almost like you need to know the specific location where your music is at in order for you to play. So If I was Djing at a club and some one has a request I cant simply type the name of the song and play it right away. t.

sure you can do this in ITCH.
hit 'ctrl-f' on your keyboard and it takes you to the search window which searches your main database

Inviato Sat 28 Mar 09 @ 3:00 pm
45%