Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDj 8 Sneak Peak - Page: 8

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I've heard a little from VDJ about the link between corporate identity and the regular skin for VDJ. It's understandable when the legacy is something that you want to KEEP, but, unfortunately, VDJ's legacy (rightly or wrongly) is probably not something that should be carried fwd.

This seems a little shortsighted to me. I've been checking out the home edition, and I love it. I've used Traktor, Ableton and DJ Decks in the past, and tried pretty much every other DJ software that is available as a free/home edition.

VDJ is in the top performers (configurability os unbelievable!), but in the bottom for looks. It is unfortunate that NEW customers will dismiss VDJ due to the GUI - but that's just how it is.

VDJ could make a killing if they just niced up the GUI. (I understand that they would probably rather do a complete re-brand and re-launch - but that is hella expensive!!!!)

Inviato Sat 07 Apr 12 @ 4:44 am
kpone9 wrote :
The good old vdj skin does make it look like toy still. need something else.

Er.....it's skinnable! It can be made to look any way you like. You sound like someone who's never used it/doesn't know anything about it - yet your profile tells me you're a Pro user!

kpone9 wrote :
waveform colored is great.

Why? SL1200s never had coloured waveforms!

kpone9 wrote :
more effect added .
Better effect quality not only made by people but made by atomix.

Again you sound like a noob. VDJ can use VST effects - as used by industry pros. Some VSTs cost more that VDJ itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd just like the sampler to have a makeover (a la Traktor Remix Decks) and for Atomix to add Ableton Live style track warping (the real killer feature that would set VDJ above all others).

Inviato Sat 07 Apr 12 @ 4:55 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
kpone9 wrote :
video dj and more effect added

You can already video DJ, and effects are added/updated more frequently than people often realise. In the past week I've added 3 new video plugins and updated 2 as well, and for once this has been on the more neglected Mac side.

Inviato Sat 07 Apr 12 @ 7:22 am
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
eclipseentertainers wrote :
I really hope the developers do something about the time code latency in version 8. Self proclaimed "Pro" DJs will never take Virtual DJ serious unless you can do precise heavy scratching.

Please please please tell me the time code engine is being improved because I want to use my 1200s again.

ask this question in here...http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/18/Wishes_and_new_features.html

Inviato Sat 07 Apr 12 @ 7:41 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
kpone9,

You have some good points and I feel the new version will answer on every level :), but as you said the current version is stilll a great piece of software, it's just time to go next level.

Inviato Sat 07 Apr 12 @ 9:39 am
Personally really excited! So far, it looks like all the features I ever wanted were added.... Hopefully the flange effect will be greatly improved. Still haven't found one that works as great as the physical pioneer 800 mixer. Thanks a bunch!

Inviato Sun 08 Apr 12 @ 11:56 pm
djmilaPRO InfinityMember since 2008
djdad wrote :
I ve done such a skin in the past, a crazy one for 3 monitors 3x1280x1024 All you need is either 2 identical dual video cards (for PCs) or a device like Matrox (for laptop) to create a large extended desktop.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/8940/Multi_Touchscreen.html

no need to have 2 identical dual video cards
I have 2 touchscreen mnitors and VGA/Svideo/DVI output for Video and I not have 2 identical dual video cards.
but is good to have one system ATI or N-vidia

main system : ATI Radeon HD 4650
ATI Radeon HD 3870

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 4:43 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes you re right about the identical. Ii think it can work when the 2 video cards are from the same manufacture, e.g. 2 ATIs or 2 Nvidias. At least this is what i know. Anyways, offtopic...sorry :)

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 10:11 am
Can't wait for the new version.. but I will. Then I guess I will just pester Synthet1c for his tips and tricks!
Awesome job on what I have seen so far... thanks!
Coops

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 12 @ 6:53 pm
kaoz99PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just a question on VDJ8.. is there going to be support for rtmp flash streaming ???
would be a cool feature (my opinion anyway) :-)
Cheers

Inviato Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 7:05 pm
Hello people VDJ team i do own a full version pro cant wait to get hands on 8
it looks fantastic, team keep up the good work, cant wait to blast 8 at clubs at discos.
Ps how do you get a beta version
thank you

Inviato Thu 19 Apr 12 @ 8:55 am
My only issue with what I think this version will be getting into is that it's going towards more of a PRE RECORDED / SET UP style of DJing. Which sure doesn't sound bad but what's the point of even having a DJ if they're just playing a preset mix? GIRLTALK anyone?

I'm all about advancing sound in DJing but I feel that this will have people DJing in their basement and THEN bringing that to the club. Great... I'll be seeing a bunch more people DJing out there that aren't doing ANYTHING LIVE except maybe a few effects and dancing around while songs are changing.

Correct me if I'm totally off but that's where I see things going with it.

Virtual DJ made it possible for people without expensive turntables and equipment to DJ LIVE. Now it seems it's making it so you don't even have to do it live. You just have to set it up once and press play. DJ IPOD in the HOUZZZEEEE. Lame.

This is all coming from a professional DJ that's been using Virtual Dj since v3.0.

Inviato Thu 19 Apr 12 @ 2:49 pm
The lines between djing and producing are getting a bit blurry now.

I bet Guetta and his like aren't mixing live any more. It's probably put together in Ableton and played off a flash drive on one of his CDJ's.

As technology moves on people will use it and that pushes advancement.

Let's put it this way, when I worked in a really busy club in 1992 - 1994 I played mostly vinyl with some CD then in 1994 I went CD only. Then came CDR and recording my own discs. Then came my first laptop in 1999 with PCDJ Red.

Would I rather be stuck in the old days ..... never, things have never been better. Keep on pushing!

Keith

Inviato Thu 19 Apr 12 @ 2:58 pm
I hear ya man. I will certainly have to agree that the line between DJing and Producing is blurred. I mean Skrillex can't dj worth a damn but he can certainly produce and he's got crazy DJ gigs all over the place.

Anyway it seems I must accept the fact that DJing is certainly dying... and producing is where it's headed if not there already. At this point maybe calling it something other than Virtual DJ would be more appropriate but hey I'm not trying to hate here.

If you really want to step up VDJ's game... I'd suggest putting in a beat machine and a synth in there as well! No joke!

Cheers,

DJ DA3DALUS

Inviato Thu 19 Apr 12 @ 3:13 pm
ckarpiuk wrote :
You just have to set it up once and press play

Ah, but you don't "have to"....

It's not forcing you to work that way. Just like you don't have to use the sync button - but a lot of ignorant DJs seem to be under the impression that because there's a sync button, the software is DJing for you!

Inviato Thu 19 Apr 12 @ 5:13 pm
ckarpiuk wrote :
My only issue with what I think this version will be getting into is that it's going towards more of a PRE RECORDED / SET UP style of DJing. Which sure doesn't sound bad but what's the point of even having a DJ if they're just playing a preset mix? GIRLTALK anyone?

I'm all about advancing sound in DJing but I feel that this will have people DJing in their basement and THEN bringing that to the club. Great... I'll be seeing a bunch more people DJing out there that aren't doing ANYTHING LIVE except maybe a few effects and dancing around while songs are changing.

Correct me if I'm totally off but that's where I see things going with it.

Virtual DJ made it possible for people without expensive turntables and equipment to DJ LIVE. Now it seems it's making it so you don't even have to do it live. You just have to set it up once and press play. DJ IPOD in the HOUZZZEEEE. Lame.

This is all coming from a professional DJ that's been using Virtual Dj since v3.0.

Unless you are a superstar dj that can play anything you want and the crowd will go nuts, pre-recorded/pre-prepared sets will not cut the cake...
The crowd will always act differently (even on the same club/venue on a different night with the same set) and will "force" you to take another road to your mix. That's why dj's still exist. Otherwise we would have been replaced by radio automation software.

PS: There are already software titles that can do pre-prepared/pre-recorded sets (such as Mixmeister). However almost none of them is used in clubs. You can't plan (and prepare) a hole night in Mixmeister. You can use it to make great mixed CD's for your own enjoyment, but not for entertaining a crowd for hours. Unless you are a superstar dj of course!

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 12 @ 3:25 am
I am looking forward to version 8 very much.
The posts saying that the GUI for vdj looks like a toy are so wrong. Traktor looks so clinical it could be used in hospital operating theatres. Torq does look like a toy. Serato is fairly reasonable. Virtual DJ has a default interface that users of cd players or turntables can use out of the box without ever needing to read the manual. Also virtual Dj can be skinned to look however you want it to look.
The ability to arrange a set of songs to play 3 minutes of a song then switch to another track will be most usefull for dj's working in a lap dancing club where each track must be played for just 3 minutes. 3 minutes cuts down to 2 minutes by the time you have introduced a dancer to the stage and organised the next dancer & 2 minutes isn't a long time for a toilet break. When these dj's can be working 9 hour stints a toilet break is sure to be needed at least once.

Inviato Fri 20 Apr 12 @ 7:17 am

Quote :
Unless you are a superstar dj that can play anything you want and the crowd will go nuts, pre-recorded/pre-prepared sets will not cut the cake...
The crowd will always act differently (even on the same club/venue on a different night with the same set) and will "force" you to take another road to your mix. That's why dj's still exist. Otherwise we would have been replaced by radio automation software.

PS: There are already software titles that can do pre-prepared/pre-recorded sets (such as Mixmeister). However almost none of them is used in clubs. You can't plan (and prepare) a hole night in Mixmeister. You can use it to make great mixed CD's for your own enjoyment, but not for entertaining a crowd for hours. Unless you are a superstar dj of course!

I totally agree with you to a certain point. From what I've seen in many clubs is that they don't care if you can DJ as long as you're playing the music that their clientele want to hear. Clubs/Promoters do not care if you can DJ live. They only care if the people there are happy and making them money (can't blame 'em) but it's become clear to them that they don't need a DJ to do that for them. If they've got someone that can make a pre recorded mix that their customers are going to drink and dance to even if the tracks aren't mixed well... they don't care. This is for MOST people who go to clubs... not all people of course but I'd say most people couldn't care less about what the DJ is doing or how well he's mixing- as long as he/she's playing songs they know and like. Many places don't even hire DJ's anymore. Why should they pay a DJ to do it live when they can play a sweet pre recorded mix off their ipod for free? Didn't a club in Miami kick Dennis Ferrer out for playing stuff that wasn't mainstream enough earlier this year? Maybe it wasn't the right venue for him but really?

Again I'm not trying to hate or make any ignorant sweeping remarks here. There are certainly venues that keep the Live vibe going- the best ones certainly keep that vibe.

I guess I'm not even upset that VDJ is going the way it is. It's a business decision and it makes sense. I will still be using their sweet software which in my opinion is extremely versatile. The part that makes me a bit sad is that I feel fewer and fewer places will be using live DJ's, especially now when more and more people will be able to easily and effectively make pre recorded mixes making it easier for venues to cut out the middle man (the live DJ). I wish I had more faith in the average club promoter/customer... but I don't sadly.

Inviato Sat 21 Apr 12 @ 3:47 am
Just 7 more months....

Inviato Sat 21 Apr 12 @ 3:52 am
Really....!
Can a pre-recorded mix take requests?
Can a pre-recorded mix play and talk to that hen party on the dance floor?
Can a pre-recorded mix adapt to the crowd?

Thankfully none of the places I have worked or know of in my area would even consider this.

But, DJing isn't just about the niche club market. I say niche cos there are a damn sight more private parties going on then there are clubs open each weekend. Plus all the weddings...

If you're wedded to the club scene that's your bag. If you want to DJ to 'the people' then look beyond the clubs.

Managers/Owners/Venues who are only looking for the 'quick buck', will make it then dissappear. Once the punters realise they soon move on anyway.

And I am excluding the pretentious clubs where being seen is more important than anything else. These places are crying out for iPod DJ's as they are only intetested in themselves ;-)

Cheers,

Roy

Inviato Sat 21 Apr 12 @ 5:14 am
42%