Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Numark NV - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I had the pleasure of playing around with the Numark NV for three whole days at BPM 2014 over Sat/Sun/Mon....

IMO it's close, but no cigar.

The actual operation of it whilst DJing is fine. There is however one big oops for using it with your laptop closed. There's no way to search.

Using it as I did with a hastily slapped together HDD full of music run through Serato DJ at home before I left for BPM, all my music was together in one big lump. Yes I could switch the NV screen to browse, but how do I get quickly from (e.g.) A artists to W artists?

If they'd given it a keyboard input, or even phone style access to alphabetical chars via the pads, it would be another step further from needing the computer.

Yes, given enough time you can create dozens (even hundreds) of crates/subcrates/smart crates in SDJ and navigate via the knob on the NV, but IMO it's still not as useful as a keyboard search.

Next (and purely IMO) there's one mic input on jack only, and just a tone control [very 70s!] and volume. No way to route the mic through a mixer channel.

The single aux input is also not routable through the mixer, and shares the same volume knob as the mic. Doh! Hopefully DJs will not need to make announcements at the same time as playing from an aux source!

Inviato Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 10:45 am
Ok but what about functionality?? Did it feel cramped, how'd the knobs feel (plastic, steel, alum)?? How'd the overall sound output sound??

Give us an unbiased review, not your opinions, lol!!

Inviato Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 12:29 pm
"The actual operation of it whilst DJing is fine" :-)

Most people that saw it thought it would be bigger, but it really doesn't need to be bigger. It's an ideal carrying size.

Feedback from the DJs I demonstrated it to/discussed it with was positive. Even guys who'd just bought a controller were saying they'd made the wrong choice.

As for output quality, I couldn't really tell. Shows like BPM are noisy. The stand was surrounded by others with larger PA systems.

Plus, the PA we had was the complete opposite end of cutting edge. A pair of budget wooden 12+horn running from a basic amp.

Inviato Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 1:02 pm
Thanks!! I am gonna check this out for sure now!!

Inviato Tue 16 Sep 14 @ 4:09 pm
Dear VDJ users, I'm new to DJ-ing, so I hope you're not gonna get upset in any way with my words. There are three major DJ softwares available, Virtual DJ, Serato DJ & Traktor. So, the whole world is divided in three different softwares. I can say that all the softwares have it's pros and cons. In that sense, none of the softwares have a total upper hand on the other two. The rest depends on the users. Just like Android & iOS users, they are always busy in trying to degrade the other two.
Now, my next point, Numark have decided to go with Serato instead of the other two. Now, some of you are saying-
01. Why did Numark make the controller only for Serato? - Well, they didn't. Numark NV is still a MIDI controller & can be configured to play any MIDI DJ softwares (including VDJ & Traktor), but the main attraction of the NV will not work with the other softwares - the screen. You can say that is one trump card from Numark & Serato to keep (or maybe gain) more users from other companies. Microsoft did the works for Numark NV's screen and they have confirmed that the screen can only be used with Serato DJ (not even with Serato Itch or Serato Scratch).
02. Why did Numark make NV so small? - Well, for some users like us, small (but not tiny) is better. We can carry it to the clubs or wherever we want. If you want a bigger controller, go for Numark NS7 II or Pioneer DDJ SX or Pioneer DDJ SX 2 or Pioneer DDJ SZ. It is an art to make a controller smaller than the most, yet having the full controls that a bigger controller has, so I should give kudos to Numark for that.
03. Why did Numark make the decks mirror image of one another instead of regular (and normal) DJ controllers? - Well, I like it as mirror image. My only grudge against Pioneer DDJ SX was that it wasn't mirrored. If you want it to be like regular ones, go for Pioneer DDJ series (and if you want smaller ones, there are DDJ SR & DDJ SB).
Finally, don't be upset, because the trend of screen has already started and the other companies are coming up with screens (e.g., NI Traktor Kontrol S8). Soon all the mid to high end DJ software controllers will have screen on the controllers & maybe there will be touchscreens in them.
So, please, have patience, the time is changing.
Cheers.

Inviato Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 7:59 pm
those jogs look tiny .

Inviato Mon 22 Sep 14 @ 8:14 pm

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 1:15 pm
hmm,I've been here before (note repeat) good site...

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 2:50 pm
I see a incorrect config in that article.I dont have the NV yet but if the Asio drivers are like my other controllers then...they posted to use wasapi drivers for windows,and the Asio for mac?...I have windows 7 64bit and I'll be darn if Im taking a step backwards to wasapi.the Asio divers should be good on windows also...

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 5:53 pm

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 6:12 pm
thanks phantom...but.....zoom in on the picture on that manual.you will see that it shows the wasapi drivers ?!?! now I'm really confused.lets go to numark and see if there is a set of Asio drivers for windows yet...

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 6:55 pm
I never said that this unit requires ASIO drivers on Windows OS. All I said is that MAC's don't have ASIO (they have Core Audio instead)

As for NV itself, yes it does NOT have ASIO drivers. Only class compliant (WASAPI) ones.

http://www.numark.com/product/nv

Official Numark Website wrote :
* Drivers are not required for Windows or Mac OS users *

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 7:21 pm
so it works fine with wasapi drivers? now Im really wondering about the correct config for the xponnent!...when I first got it I used what it like it would install,with is the wasapi drivers.then someone else commented to use the Asio drivers.what's the real story then? with windows I mean?

Inviato Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 7:43 pm
Drivers Logic diagram:

Does the device have it's own ASIO drivers ?

A. YES. Install and use the ASIO drivers
B. NO. Install and use the class compliant or any other drivers provided by the manufacturer (WASAPI)
C. No, but I heard something about ASIO4ALL: Install and use the class compliant or any other drivers provided by the manufacturer (WASAPI)

Does the fact that my unit does not have ASIO drivers means it will have big latency ?
NO, not necessarily.
ASIO was developed on an era where it's alternatives (like WinMM, DirectSound and WDM) had much bigger latency and there was a need for "almost real-time" operation.
Windows Vista introduced WASAPI drivers replacing the older WDM model.
WASAPI is capable of manipulating low latency audio and it's quite similar to Core Audio on MAC's. However WASAPI on Windows Vista was buggy and it missed a good opportunity to be heard as a good alternative for low latency audio.
Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 fixed those bugs and now WASAPI is really capable of low latency audio.
For most modern controllers WASAPI and ASIO produce almost the same results for most users and most computers.
ASIO can still provide lower latency than WASAPI by a few ms, as long as the ASIO drivers are really well written.
ASIO is still a necessity only on DVS systems (and DAW's) where the measured latency is the result of both "input" and "output" latency times and therefore each ms counts.

A good ASIO driver on a modern PC can provide around 3-4ms output latency (lower is possible but risky), while WASAPI can provide around 6ms in shared mode and as low as 3ms in exclusive mode.

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 2:16 am
thanks George but have you tested any of these controllers with both wasapi and Asio drivers? and...my xponnent runs on both about the same results,just checked. so why is th numark nv not having Asio drivers for windows? is there a conflict with the screens?

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 2:45 am
well after some testing I found a big plus. seems when I used the Asio drivers and closed vdj if I went to open fruity loops (which auidio out is outputing out of my native instruments kontrol rig 2 pedal/audio card ) to work on my music I had a lot of glitching and had to restart the computer to release the mAudio Asio drivers so the system could switch to the NI Asio drivers..but after switching the xponnent config back to wasapi then closing vdj and opening fruity loops the sound was perfect as it should be without having to restart the computer.so wasapi wins...I've been wondering if this would work....

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 6:42 am
Just got mine in today to replace my NS6 & I'm having a blast with this thing!! The filter roll is awesome, the screens work well, the pads are just the right size IMO & I don't seem to be having any problems with latency. Only problem I had so far is that shift + the beat knob doesn't change the key like the pdf says, but no big deal I just mapped key_smooth to the gain knobs like I did on the NS6. Looking forward to using this in the field once I finish putting it through the paces;^]

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 2:06 pm
thanks timmy...yeah Im almost convinced to get one.I thought is was a plastic unit but I've read it is metal? my beef is the platters,they are small,but I got an Idea,simple really ;)

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 2:49 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Only problem I had so far is that shift + the beat knob doesn't change the key like the pdf says,

You re right. The Right BEATS encoder should do so though. Fixed now in builds ending at .963 or higher

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 3:17 pm
It feels mostly plastic except the mixer section and the top of the jogs, but still feels sturdy, not that I'd transport it without my trusty gator bag, but then I wouldn't transport the NS6 without it either. The jogs are pretty small, but big enough to do the job. I had problems with the jogs on the NS6 because when in vinyl mode I'd try using the sides to nudge tracks & would end up activating the top of the jog & would throw the tracks way out of alignment, but surprisingly haven't had that happen on the NV yet despite the jogs being half the size.

Thanks for that info DJDad!!! You're right it's working fine on the right deck, look forward to trying the new builds once it passes beta;^]

Inviato Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 4:48 pm
32%