Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mixed In key with Virtual DJ 8 - Page: 2

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

I've used MiK for years putting the results into the Comment field. I display the Comment field in the browser window. One of the main problems I found using this was that the Player window is showing the VDJ key, not the MiK result. So, I modified the skin I'm using (djdad's SWAP 4DECKS) to display the Comment field in the Player window.

There are some skins now that give you the option of what is displayed in the Player window, therefore, not needing to modify the skin.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 7:38 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
+1 an excellent comment.

I've just been looking at the skin xml, this tip has opened up a door to help me customize VDJ 8 even more.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 7:43 pm
it's OK doing that, but when for example changing the key of the track up or down, the key in the comment field will not change to reflect the new key.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 8:21 pm
Hi Groovin, hm things are getting tricky. I only now understand the basis for your complaint about the VDJ 8 key options. You have a valid point.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 8:26 pm

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 8:55 pm
I'm collecting a lot of key data from the Keyfinder website, and comparing it to VDJ 8's analysis.
In particular Beatles tracks were used in the Keyfinder thesis/report.
VDJ 8 correlated quite well with those songs.

The most numerous key type by a long way is the Major key's. VDJ 8 appears to be quite good at detecting such a key !
Hm VDJ 7 determined that all the songs on the Beatles album Please Please Me where in a minor key ?
In fact 12 out of 14 are in a Major key !

We have had a little poison hanging around this forum.

I think I'm happy to continue using the key detection built into VDJ 8.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 9:19 pm
bigron1 wrote :
We have had a little poison hanging around this forum

In other words an independent review of keyfinding programs doesn't match with your deluded opinion that VirtualDJ is the best. It put VDJ last.

Key detection is very open ended and everyone has a different opinion on what is correct. I prefer to use my ears.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 9:27 pm
In the thesis compiled to support the Keyfinder software the true keys supplied by the music industry were used to test the software, which I have just used to test VDJ 8.

Try reading the thesis Kradcliffe, or is that above your IQ grade?

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 9:35 pm
Obviously it is. I do have trouble following your threads as you constantly edit them and they don't make easy reading. You should try reading them yourself.

Do explain your poison comment then.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 9:57 pm
You feel a finger might be pointing at you?
A little paranoid maybe?

Stick to the point.
REFUTE MY DATA, AND LOGIC RELATED TO THE KEY FINDING ISSUE WITH VDJ.

Edited by AMAHM

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 10:05 pm
OK, I will shut up and leave you to it. Judging by the fact most of the threads on this post are by yourself there's no point taking part anyway.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 10:07 pm
I've packed this thread with information.

Key detection has been unfairly used to belittle VDJ 8.
MIK has been promoted at the expense of VDJ 8 on this website.

For all practical purposes VDJ 8 key analysis is good, but beware of its weakness, the Minor key.

Inviato Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 10:14 pm
One more final point, a Minor key is kind of dark, and moody, whilst a Major key tends to be much brighter. It's not such a bad idea to mix in Major keys, and then when you want a mood change drop to a Minor key.
I'm not a musician, if anyone can add to, or correct my statements I would be grateful.
It's all about learning.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 12:02 am
bigron1 wrote :
The point being that it is the relationship between the analyzed keys which is important.
Hence VDJ8 could get every key wrong and still outperform the best programs.
Remember it's about how one song relates to another.

This is my thinking, as the key is only a reference for me anyway. The same as the time and bpm. I change the bpm on almost every song, and only play about 3:30 of a song or less. For me, the key is way down on the list, in my decision to play a track.

Ron, I am going to ask you to play nicely. It is not necessary to always jump down someone's throat.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 2:52 am
"Ron, I am going to ask you to play nicely. It is not necessary to always jump down someone's throat."
Ok. I'm used to arguing with gentlemen with financial/economic/banking backgrounds. It has made me quite combative.
This forum seems to be very tame.

Around 20 years ago I made mix Cd's to help me get through a function. These Cd's contained groups of songs, say the 60's, 70's, 80's..and so on. I used to name them 60s 1, 60s 2, 60s 3 etc. It turned out that the best of these Cd's were "accidentally" mixed in key. I then realized that harmonic mixing theory could emulate years of experience. It therefore became easier to construct good sets. It's true that mixing in key is only a guide which does not always work. At the end of the day the human ear must be the judge.

I think a songs key is now as important as its BPM, and that's almost vital.

You may know understand why I have found the recent attacks on VDJ 8's key detection capabilities disturbing.
I was on the verge of changing the way I work.
If MIK did not demand an Internet connection I would have already bought the program.
Such is the pressure a few are generating to promote MIK at the expense of VDJ 8.

Often adverts on television focus on selling you things you don't need.
They generate media hype.
When I went to buy MIK I found David Guetta's face, amongst many others being used to sell MIK.
That by itself was enough to put me off.

Note: I have changed the way I will work due to this thread, I will mix mostly in Major keys, and use Minor keys as a "mood changer".

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 7:19 am
I bought Mixed in key yesterday and started to fiddle with it.
Too bad VDJ 8 isn't compatible with it so we could get the analyzed key in the "key" area.
The automatic cue'ing done I was not so impressed about.
Don't know if it was worth the money or not.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 7:40 am
It's turned out that Groovin was spot on about the over writing of the key tag.

Buying MIK is logical if you aspire to very high standards.
I have adopted a second rate method based on my preferences.
I'm hoping this will have very little effect on my work.
VDJ8 has served me well over the last year.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 7:56 am
I've just been reviewing the 500 70's songs I analyzed with Keyfinder, and its highlighted the VDJ 8 Minor key problem.
I still might switch to Keyfinder.
I'm analyzing a 80's folder now using Keyfinder.
It's quick, and very easy to use.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 9:27 am
PCDJ provide some good information.
http://www.pcdj.com/keyfinder-free-key-detection-software/

....and interestingly CrossDJ might use Keyfinder algorithms
http://www.pogo.org.uk/~mark/key-tools/

An outstanding feature of Keyfinder seems to be that you can drag a folder into the program window, and it will the look into all the sub-folders for songs.
I don't know how deep it can go into nested folders ?
It also appears you can drag in multiple folders !

I've almost analyzed my whole music collection using Keyfinder. It's very fast !

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 3:21 pm
Keyfinder all the way!! He's actually trying to get his algorithm improved. He has a thread on the SDJ forums where he explains how he's gonna get it done. I of course donated to the cause.

Inviato Tue 24 Nov 15 @ 4:39 pm
51%