Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: request to have limiter enable /disable option - Page: 3

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Blaine.S wrote :
Fruit wrote :
sureview wrote :
I don't think you need to turn the limiter off, just set up 0db to .75

WAY better like this !!

Thank you for the tip man, you deserve !

Make that -0.75db in auto-gain and that may do it. Then the heavy hammer of the limiter might not engage.

Where do I config this ?
I have searched around and can not find it...

Inviato Tue 15 Jul 14 @ 12:25 pm

Inviato Tue 15 Jul 14 @ 1:45 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Thank You ;-)

Inviato Tue 15 Jul 14 @ 2:09 pm
I'm happy to read this thread as I've been saying that the sound from this version of VDJ sounds "compressed" EVEN when you're NOT running the levels high. If I play the same song in VDJ 7.4 or Traktor 2.6.8, the quality is much better than in version 8 as it sounds compressed. It's particularly more noticeable in EDM songs which are highly compressed to begin with! If I play an ballad or song that does not have a lot of compression on it in the mastering, it sounds quite good in version 8 but, unfortunately, most of the dance songs I play are already compressed and the software appears to add more compression. I thought I was imagining this but, after reading this thread, I'm glad to see that Misery loves company! I hope there is a solution because I feel very comfortable with the VDJ system which is much more "mobile DJ friendly" than the Traktor system (at least that's how I see it but maybe I'm just too lazy to really learn Traktor)!

Inviato Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 12:27 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
djduane2 wrote :
I hope there is a solution....

Am I incorrect in thinking a solution was presented above in this post?

Inviato Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 2:45 am
You're right that a solution was presented but that solution has not improved the sound quality from what I can tell. It does lower the audio level going through the controller but the compression still seems to be occurring- at least with my system (MacBook Pro with 8gb ram and Denon MC3000). The CPU indicator indicates VEry LOW CPU usage so that's not an issue. For some reason the same songs sound better when played with Traktor through the system than with VDJ8 and that's sad cuz I'm not a Traktor fan (to lazy I guess to really learn it) when I much prefer the Virtual Dj system. I may just keep using 7.4 since the audio does sound better. Unfortunately, I bought an Novation Launchpad to use with 8 and can't use it with 7.

Inviato Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 4:44 pm
djduane2 wrote :
I bought an Novation Launchpad to use with 8 and can't use it with 7.

Yes you can use it with 7.

Inviato Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 4:59 pm
@djduane2

why don't u tell us some of these songs that sound bad to you so others can confirm there is a problem?

Inviato Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 5:22 pm
blckjck wrote :
djduane2 wrote :
I hope there is a solution....

Am I incorrect in thinking a solution was presented above in this post?

Yes, you are wrong. We need to find a real solution.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 11:20 am
Blaine.S wrote :
Fruit wrote :
I don't think you need to turn the limiter off, just set up 0db to .75

WAY better like this !!

Thank you for the tip man, you deserve !

Don't say that, pro DJS don't need a limiter. It should be an option.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 11:21 am
joxmitraros wrote :
]

I disagree. The use of compression and limiting is very much wanted as a safety to protect system damage. A clipped signal at to high of a level will damage equipment. The person in charge of the mix should know what levels to run for optimum performance and sound. The limiting should be used in case of error. Like someone bumping a fader, a track being started before autoGain had finished and sending out to hot of a signal, a guest DJ that likes to run in the red, etc.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 12:02 pm
Nah, we never had any of that in the old days!

A pair of turntables, mixer, amp, speakers. Job done.

The turntables never had BPM counters or waveforms, the mixers didn't have EQ on every channel (some had none at all), the amps weren't protected, and the speakers were possibily home made.

That's the sort of kit I used when I started, and to this day I've never blown an amp or a speaker - mine or anyone elses.

:-)

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 12:12 pm
I don't argue at all then things can run without it. My first few set ups were with no limiting. My GLI mixer had no channel EQ's either. However, I appreciate the new tech as well. An analogy would be that I had a car with 4 wheel drum brakes, but now I a, happy with all wheel disc and antilock.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 12:51 pm
blckjck wrote :
joxmitraros wrote :
]

I disagree. The limiting should be used in case of error.

Yes, the limiting should be used in case of error as you said but only if the master output is hot/in the red signal. I can add on professional Mixer, you can disable/enable the limiter. For me, Atomix Production shouldn't impose us to use the limiter if we don't want to use it. I respect them and i love VirtualDJ, but the limiter should be an option.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:15 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Of course we should be able to disable the limiter (and have it a good quality).

I thanked someboby for a pretty usefull temporary trick.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 5:52 pm
Since I started this post I still see a lot of statements .. lol so just to say the day I see limiter as an option and it is tried out on a possible beta build and if im wrong about what I said I will admit it ... but if im right I told u so until then ill wait and watch

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 7:19 pm
joxmitraros wrote :
Yes, the limiting should be used in case of error as you said but only if the master output is hot/in the red signal. I can add on professional Mixer, you can disable/enable the limiter. For me, Atomix Production shouldn't impose us to use the limiter if we don't want to use it. I respect them and i love VirtualDJ, but the limiter should be an option.

I don't take issue with it being an option. I also don't mind that it's on be default. I think the autoGain should be set better. In my case, none of my 4 professional mixers have limiters. I do it with external gear, whether it be via my driverack or even just the limiters on the amps or speakers.

Inviato Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 8:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
groovindj wrote :
Nah, we never had any of that in the old days!

A pair of turntables, mixer, amp, speakers. Job done.

The turntables never had BPM counters or waveforms, the mixers didn't have EQ on every channel (some had none at all), the amps weren't protected, and the speakers were possibily home made.

That's the sort of kit I used when I started, and to this day I've never blown an amp or a speaker - mine or anyone elses.

:-)

But back then you where using analog stuff, now you are digital, which is a big difference.

Inviato Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 4:52 am
PachN wrote :
But back then you where using analog stuff, now you are digital, which is a big difference.

I'm not disputing the difference between analog and digital.

My post was answering the one above, which said that compression/limited is "very much wanted" for safety reasons.

I understand why it's there. I'm just saying that it is possible to do without it. If Atomix insist on babysitting then the limiter needs to be less intrusive.

Inviato Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 5:06 am
I agree with u grooving limiter is way to locked down with restraints fyi u don t have to go in the red to get it kickin in

Inviato Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 7:17 am
50%