Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: xp or vista that is the question - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Just bought a new lappy for vdj with vista pre installed, what is the better operating system to use with vdj? xp or vista?
I am so used to xp that i'm finding vista a bit off putting

Inviato Tue 27 Jan 09 @ 6:00 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I'm running just audio on both platform and have noticed no difference. I have read several times though that video runs better on Vista....Hope that helps...

Inviato Tue 27 Jan 09 @ 6:31 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

You should be just fine with Vista, people on here worry to much ;)

I've used Vista now for 8 months with no problems, I would even say it's better than XP!!!!

Inviato Wed 28 Jan 09 @ 12:25 am
Do a search in the forum, this question has been asked a million times now!

Inviato Wed 28 Jan 09 @ 2:58 am
It's really going to depend on your system. Many people are using Vista with no problems, my Toshiba laptop has issues with MIDI Connectivity in Vista but is OK in XP. Overall, XP is considered the better system to use for professional work.

Inviato Fri 30 Jan 09 @ 2:16 am
DJAuzPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you're buying a new computer it's better to run Vista because vendors are quickly phasing out XP driver support for new hardware!

This applies to pretty much all 'home' PC models from the major vendors (Dell, HP, Acerr etc!)

If you still want XP you'll need to purchase a 'business' grade machine.

Or of course wait until Windows 7 ;)

As mentioned there's nothing wrong with Vista anymore when it comes to stability, problably only downside is it takes longer to boot up than XP, but that's about it!

Inviato Fri 30 Jan 09 @ 4:14 am
Quote:

"If you're buying a new computer it's better to run Vista because vendors are quickly phasing out XP driver support for new hardware!"

What a load of crap. I have bought 3 things in the last few weeks where support goes back to Windows 98. I've never heard so much rubbish in ages!

Inviato Fri 30 Jan 09 @ 6:47 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
been using vista for over two years now with no problems...

Inviato Fri 30 Jan 09 @ 6:54 am
I have used both also. The thing that has not been said is what version of vista they are using? I have a 32bit version and have had NO issues at all. My buddy is running a 64bit version and he is experiencing all kinds of problems?

So I would say if you going to get a new laptop with Vista get a 32bit version.. just my $.02

Inviato Fri 30 Jan 09 @ 11:05 am
I used XP Pro for 2 years. Upgraded to Vista 64 and can't noticed the difference (only doing audio). I would only use XP if: I had a slow machine or had drivers issues.

Inviato Fri 30 Jan 09 @ 4:52 pm
It depends on your laptop but many of the new laptops are very hard to downgrade to xp and you'll run into lots of driver issues i would never recommend doing this.

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 9:24 am

Well everybody well have to do the swap sooner or later (if you use a PC) whether it will be to Vista or Windows 7. It's no great problem really. People will just have to get out of the XP is better mind set!!!!

Just a thought here

Quote :

XP will stop being permitted to be sold after January 31, 2009. It will stop receiving bug fixes in April, 2009. It will receive security updates until August, 2014.

and have a read of this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Very interesting

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 9:45 am
Well here is what im going thur with the laptop I just purchased. It came with vista home premuim 64bit perinstalled on it. I tried installing the soundbox for my virtual vinyl on it, no luck with that one. I alot of people told me that there was no driver support for alot of dj hardware on vista 64bit os's I guess it depends on what type of hardware, soundcard's etc... you plan on using. Tearemup recommended I check out the maya 44 usb for my time code setup. Which I plan on picking that up this weekend. So wish me luck! Im dying here I have a huge promo party on feb. 14th so I hope this work's...... YIKES!!!!!

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 10:08 am

How about making a partition on your Laptop harddrive, install a copy of XP on it (that's if you can find a OEM copy). Then use this XP partition to run your Virtual Vinyl on until the 64bit drivers come available for the VV interface,

It will be cheaper than buy another soundcard, but it would be slightly harder to sort out I guess

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 11:41 am
I thought about doing that but im afarid I have no idea how to even start donig that... Lol I guess I could take it to someone to do that for me. The cheapest xp xro oem disc I could find was at tigerdirect.com for $149.99. The cheapest I've seen the maya 44 usb is $99. I think for now ima go with the maya 44 usb and wait till numark releases the 64bit drivers. Hope it will be soon.....

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 1:34 pm

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 2:39 pm
I don't live in America but Newegg are probably one of your best companies to order from for mainstream computer stuff. You can get XP Home for $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

The install and setting up an XP/Vista dualboot will take a about an hour of your time, maybe a few if it's your first attempt. To ease the process, you need to have a Vista installation dvd too, if you don't have one, it's best to try and borrow a friends as otherwise you will need to make your own bootable media to restore the boot sector. You only need the Vista installation dvd, not a cd key as you're not installing anything.

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 4:26 pm
I never thought about that. Ima have to try the maya44 usb first before I go messing around with my laptop. How does someone go about installing both vista and xp sounds kinda of involved...

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 5:19 pm
If you have Vista installed first: Vista has a utility to resize your harddrive, so you shrink it to make room for XP, creating two partitions. You then install XP from the CD onto the new partition. Once installed, use Vista's DVD to recover the boot sector (easier than it sounds). Once back in Vista, use a program called EasyBCD Edit to add a menu to allow you to choose either Vista or XP when you turn on the computer.

Here's a guide (pages 1 - 4): http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

Hopefully the Maya approach works for you and you don't need to go down this route but if you have any questions I'll try and answer them.

Inviato Tue 03 Feb 09 @ 5:44 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's exactly what I did with my Toshiba laptop. I use XP for my DJ work and Vista for everything else. My Vista problems weren't actually with VDJ but with how Windows was dealing with the attached hardware. My HS5500 would lose connectivity after about 3-4 minutes and I was also having problems with the MIDI over Firewire for my Korg Zero4.

Good Luck,

Taipanic

Inviato Wed 04 Feb 09 @ 11:16 pm
77%