Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hard Drive

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Is using Computer hard drive or external drive best when djing

Inviato Thu 19 Feb 09 @ 10:24 pm
Not that it matter that much, using external drive has a little benefit.

Reason being that your Windows and VDJ will be on one drive (read/write), and music on a 2nd drive (read/write)

This will give a slight, but hardly noticable, benefit

Inviato Thu 19 Feb 09 @ 10:43 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
If you are running a laptop and videos, you won't have any choice but to run external. I always have run external without any problems.

Inviato Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 6:35 am
IMO, External is best. If your machine goes down, or you ever have to upgrade, you can just plug in the external into the new machine and you're ready to go. Plus, if you ever get a virus, I wouldn't think it would effect your external. Plus, externals are pretty cheap right now, it's kinda win-win. And, if something happens to your system and say you have to do a clean install, it could save alot of ripping time to have everything on external. There are so many reasons.

CRash

Inviato Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 8:51 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
DJ Doc Z wrote :
If you are running a laptop and videos, you won't have any choice but to run external. I always have run external without any problems.

Really? I use an internal drive on my laptop for audio and video, but then my laptop has two internal drive bays. I personally prefer internals - quicker setup, less wires to connect/go faulty/get unplugged accidentally. Also means you have one less power point to find (unless using a bus powered external).

I also have an external which has a backup of my media, but is soley used as that - it's not connected during a gig.

CRashster wrote :
IMO, External is best. If your machine goes down, or you ever have to upgrade, you can just plug in the external into the new machine and you're ready to go.

Very true - just make sure your external drive is backed up.

CRashster wrote :
Plus, if you ever get a virus, I wouldn't think it would effect your external.

Thats not true at all...

CRashster wrote :
And, if something happens to your system and say you have to do a clean install, it could save alot of ripping time to have everything on external.

Agreed, but if you can have two internal drives you get the same flexibility.

Basically just use whatever suits you :)

Inviato Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 9:14 am
SBDJ wrote :
DJ Doc Z wrote :

CRashster wrote :
Plus, if you ever get a virus, I wouldn't think it would effect your external.

Thats not true at all...

[quote=CRashster]And, if something happens to your system and say you have to do a clean install, it could save alot of ripping time to have everything on external.

Agreed, but if you can have two internal drives you get the same flexibility.

Basically just use whatever suits you :)

I'm basically a Mac guy and I appreciate you setting me straight on these points. I only use my PC for DJing and don't really worry much about viruses and such. I should, but not using them for general internet and email, I don't see the need.

CRash

Inviato Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 9:39 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I don't use any AV on my gig machine either ;)

Inviato Fri 20 Feb 09 @ 12:24 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)