Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Buying active speakers

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

DJ azenPRO InfinityMember since 2008
hi ,I'm going to buy a pair of active speakers 15'' but i don't know what brand, gemini,berhinger? etc. help please. i have 1k to spend on them

Inviato Mon 20 Apr 09 @ 11:23 pm

Inviato Tue 21 Apr 09 @ 6:58 pm

Inviato Tue 21 Apr 09 @ 8:54 pm

Inviato Tue 21 Apr 09 @ 10:22 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I really like my Mackie SRM 450s (watch for sale to get below your budget). I have $30k in my livingroom home theater with Krell and Vienna acoustics. It is safe to say I am an audiophile. I REALLY like these speakers.

The only thing that I can say I would like to see better is the puch when they are up loud. There is a bit of port noise and it is not very strong. But they are only 12s and they compare with anything else in that range (size/price). Also consider my refference system. Ideally I should get a sub and when I can afford it I will. Good luck

Inviato Wed 22 Apr 09 @ 9:46 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Everybody has opinions on this subject, in fact the different dj boards are full of discussion on this.

Personally, you couldn't GIVE me a pair or Mack 450's, just my opinion.

The only worthy opinion is one who has owned them all and can compare first hand, not act like sheep buying on other's praise who never had anything else and bought because other dj's swore by a brand.

When people come up and comment about the sound, and better yet, when a dj who I fill in for calls me to find out what I am using after he hears the client feed back, it says something when he runs out and buys exactly what I am running.

But I am not posting to bash or post to influence people.
Get to a sound room and put your ears to the test BEFORE you ask how much.

Inviato Thu 23 Apr 09 @ 6:03 am
He only has $1K to spend. You have to understand that I am happy with these and I listen to my $5 Vienna Beethoven Grands on a $10k, 140 lb Krell KSA 200s (true class A amp) with $1k speaker wire everyday. Trust me, I did not just pay out the money, they are set up for optimal room placment and the room is acoustically treated. These Makies are FAR from reference, and my theater might be too by some people's standards. They are a great choice at that price range and so far everybody has complimented them.

While you may have better, I can see why you would not accept them as a "gift" over your equipment. It is wise for the OP to demo the speakers. But narrowing them down so he does not have to take a "tour of the sales floor" approch will save time. Plus see what people are having luck with.

I use these Makies oudoors at a haunted hayride that I run. They are the speakers for a big (20' tall x 35' long) rock concert stage. I hide them in 6 foot tall black cabinets so nobody can see how small they really are. Most people who came off that ride complimented about that site and the wagon was 30' away! Most of the talk about that ride is that 1 site out of 12 others. I even have thank you emails stating that site as the best and it does not even scare people!

That is my personal experience, USING these speakers, from a "tone snob" (aka audiophile). I have listened to the B52s and all I heard was distortion when they were up loud.

Inviato Thu 23 Apr 09 @ 7:14 am
It's possible that the distorted B-52's you heard where not properly EQed for the sound environment or the DJ was using low quality mp3's, possibly his equipment was sub-par, who knows? I am an audiophile as well with several "home" theater set-ups in my 6000 sqft home, only 1 of the theater set-ups I would call "high-end". I have an array of speaker choices when I do a gig, I tend to take along either my B-52 1000 V2 or 2000 V2, depending on the venue. Why do I choose these over my other brands ? Simply put, they sound awesome! The portability of these is unsurpassed as well. I have been in the music entertaintainment business for 25 years off and on and I have seen and used everything there is out there. I'm certainly not saying B-52's are the best, then you would know I was full of it. I am simply saying that many factors put them near the top of my list such as price, sound, portability and paired with a dbx DriveRack PX and a BBE 882i, they are hard to beat!

RuDeDoGG

Inviato Thu 23 Apr 09 @ 1:19 pm
I agree, I really like the portability of the B52s. But it was a store demo with a CD, so that is not the issue. It was loud, but it was a disaster. So I guess I would have to entertain the EQ theory because that is the only unknown for me. Either way, I was in there looking at the JBL PRX525. Wich are nice, but well out of the $1k price range and for now out of my price range.

Inviato Thu 23 Apr 09 @ 3:04 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)