Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Music on Hard Drive?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Here's a question, I'm curious about.

Is it more energy/power efficient to have audio track already on your Macbook hard drive (iTunes folder)... or have them playing off an External Hard Drive?

I would imagine it takes more power to run an External, right?

Inviato Wed 29 Jul 09 @ 10:55 pm
The motor of your laptops hard drive of your is still going to be spinning even if you use external hard drive - thus consuming power.

I assume you're curious about this subject in order to extend the battery life of your laptop? I'd advice using VDJ with the power adaptor plugged in, since most laptops (using default settings) drop the clock speed of your CPU among other things to save power and extend battery life. All this reduced computing power and affects the performance of VDJ.

Inviato Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 3:09 am
So is it better to run your music from an external drive or not?

Inviato Tue 04 Aug 09 @ 5:14 pm
bcondemi wrote :
So is it better to run your music from an external drive or not?

Just in order to save battery power? No.

For better performance and faster loading? Yes - depending on what kind of internal and external hard drives you are using.

Most smaller/cheaper Macs have an 5400rpm internal hard drive. So if the external drive is not a 7200rpm drive or a Solid State Disk, there is no performance gain.

It's also worth pointing out, that despite the lower theoretical bandwith (400MB/s) Firewire devices usually offer better performance than USB2.0 (480MB/s).

Inviato Thu 06 Aug 09 @ 2:44 am
See, I find this interesting as I would have thought playing off your External Drive would cause lagging, etc.

I've been using my iTunes folder on my Internal hard-drive in my Mac, but if it's more beneficial to use my External I will. My external has firewire 400, so might as well.

Inviato Thu 06 Aug 09 @ 10:12 am
jlundy21 wrote :
I've been using my iTunes folder on my Internal hard-drive in my Mac, but if it's more beneficial to use my External I will. My external has firewire 400, so might as well.

It's not quite that simple. The fact that a hard drive is external doesn't automatically mean it's faster than your internal drive. It's the type of disc - RPM count to be exact - that counts.

Inviato Thu 06 Aug 09 @ 1:54 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)