Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: House DJ vs. Hip Hop DJ - Page: 2

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

AuralCandy.Net wrote :
Actually...DJ Tiesto and Armin Van Buuren are not House DJs, they play trance.

Anyway, these "World's best DJ" -charts are usually based on producer merits rather than DJ skills. For example, I don't recall there being a single non-producer DJ in the "official" DJ MAG's top 100. It's rather stupid, if you ask me.

Was just going to say the same. The Top 100 is always filled with Trance DJs...some of them are very good, some of them not. But it doesn't represent a wide enough variety of DJs. And for the record, very few "house" DJs rank in the top 100.

Inviato Sat 07 Nov 09 @ 12:28 pm
[quote=mitchythekid]youve never seen people dance to a beat juggle because youve never seen q-bert. he drummed alot of beats on vinyl for 3-4 mins at a time while another drummed scratched vocals dance floor was packed. he doubled/juggled some beats for quite a while.

How long did the set last? A few minutes right? DJ's can do things like this throughout their set, But it is not what "Regular" clubgoers are trying to get their groove on to. Unless it is a DJ Battle style showcase, the customers attension spand will only last about 30 seconds. A few months ago DJ Craze & DJ Clever were here. Both of them actually scratched less then 1 minute total, Then quickly got back to the business of making'em dance. It is a time and a place for it.

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 6:06 am
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
A Man and His Music wrote :
....Apartheid was a good thing, but the majority of the people in the world didn't think so. The end.

This is fairly off topic, but when has racial segregation ever been a good thing??

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 10:31 am
(1) Who cares who is "VOTED" number 1....just like the umpteen hundreds of "awards" shows on TV who gives a crap....can't anyone in this conutry just lieve their life and enjoy what they want without it always being a contest?

(2) Anytime there is VOTING for a list, no matter what it is from the best cheesecake to the best pig snorter it is all basedon opinions and you know what they say about opinions....only mine counts anyway!

(3) Djing is so subjective their can never be a "best" as what one considers a skill another may consider noise. The guy who can eat the 6 pound steak in under and hour thinks his sh*t don't stink too but does that don't moake it a skill.

(4) If I vote for Dj Joe Blow as #1 is he going to give me a sales commission from all the jobs he gets becasue i helped him get that title...no...so why should I care.

(5) This is why societies are so f*cked up becasue people spend way too much time argueing about subjective matters that mean nothing in life while we are all losing jobs, pay, our homes, our rights and liberties and our livelyhood and congress is voting themselves another pay raise........wake up already and put your argueing tiem to something useful before you have nothing left to argue about!

Inviato Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 5:25 pm
well well well

this of course is one of those wars we try to avoid. but i personally will side with the hiphop side as far as skill is concerned.
imo it takes way more skill to be a hiphop dj than a house dj.. and easier to start djing house than hiphop...

when i look at youtube videos of these big name house djs there's really nothing special i see about them.. house might cater to a bigger and more radio friendly audience than hiphop and in the long run might tend to make more money career wise than a hiphop dj..

skill wise tho house djs i dont think can match up to hiphop djs..

when u want to buy a turntable u want to get it from a house dj coz he hasnt pushed it to the limit and beat it up like a hiphop dj would... whats the point of spending all that money on expensive turntables just to move the pitch..

and generally, hiphop scratch beat juggling djs consider other djs weak and boring..

and, no offense, that said, no true big name hiphop djs use virtual dj... coz you can't really do serious hardcore beat juggling hiphop style djing with virtual dj.. and no big name hiphop djs cosign virtual dj..

some hiphop djs on the other hand can get annoying with the scratching and beat juggling. coz mostly only other djs appreciate good well done scratching and beat juggling. most of the time it goes passed the general public heads the skill it takes to do that stuff.

there's a lot more about djing than scratching and beat juggling and that is probably why house djs are more highly paid than hiphop djs?

my opinion.

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 1:43 am

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 9:22 am
ghettotech wrote :
and generally, hiphop scratch beat juggling djs consider other djs weak and boring..
my opinion.

That's ironic cause most Variety Djs also think a lot of house Djs are boring (not house music but house Djs) and both house and Variety Djs think most scratch and beat juggling Djs are noisy, obnoxious and annoying

ghettotech wrote :

there's a lot more about djing than scratching and beat juggling and that is probably why house djs are more highly paid than hiphop djs?

True about that and that is why being a Variety Dj is harder than hip hop, house or any single genre of Djing. Think about it, a single genre DJ is in effect "Preaching to the choir", everybody there likes the style of music you play you just need to play it a little better then the other guy. With a Variety Dj you need to please EVERYBODY all the time, which means you need to play better house than the house Dj, better hip hop then the hip hop Dj, better rock then the rock Dj and better country than the country dj (oh yeah, then thereis always thet Brittney and lady gaga and line dances we have to tolerate). When you consider 20% or more of the crowd comes in to the club expecting not to like whatever style music you play on any given song and yet you can still keep them happy and partying all night....that is TALENT, making noise with a record being used in an unnatural manner....not so much.

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 9:32 am
They way I see it, turntablism is primarly a technical performance, that requires motoric skills, whereas club-DJ'ing is about keeping the crowd entertained.

Both are valuable skills mastered perfectly only by few, but comparing the two makes no sense. It's like comparing olympic diving to writing a book.

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 11:08 am

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 11:15 am
aural its a good feeling when a dj goes to a club with a few cds and just radnomly play them and talk a lot of sh1t on the mic and keep the club hype. and the reason why he can do that is because he's already passed the tests and certified.
its good when a hiphop dj has passed all technical and hyping skill tests.

would i be fair to generalize that more hiphop djs are more hype and more personality oriented than house djs?
and im gonna class the reggae dancehall djs/artists as hiphop style djs.

tiesto dropped dj from his name.

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 11:29 am
ghettotech wrote :
aural its a good feeling when a dj goes to a club with a few cds and just radnomly play them and talk a lot of sh1t on the mic and keep the club hype. and the reason why he can do that is because he's already passed the tests and certified.

I fail to see your point, if there even is one. A poor performace is a poor performance, no matter what sport. Just because the craft is different, doesn't mean that a club-DJ can give any more half-assed performance without it showing.

ghettotech wrote :
would i be fair to generalize that more hiphop djs are more hype and more personality oriented than house djs?

I don't know about that, but it sure as hell seems that it's the hiphop guys who are always the first to categorize, label and compare everything in the DJ scene. This is cool, this is not. This is "real DJ'ing", this is not. This equipment is the best, this is not. This takes more skill than this, etc etc.

Frankly I think that crap is childish and pathetic. Maybe it's a coincidence or not, but I suspect the high level of retardism displayed at Serato forum has something to do with this. I guess it's easier to live in a world where everything can be put to tiny labelled boxes. As much as turntablism takes skill, there is still a finite ways to make squeky noises by rubbing plastic.

I've noticed that club-DJ's tend to be more tolerant and open, because they know there is more than one way to skin a cat. In the club scene skill (=ability to entertain) is much more subjective.

ghettotech wrote :

Makes sense. He's a producer more than anything, so labelling himself "just" a DJ doesn't give a very accurate description of him. Not that I give a crap about Tiesto, but I smelled an attempt to imply something.

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 11:54 am

You are referring to a House/dance/trance magazines DJ poll (DJMag), and of course Tiesto and Armin are ranked as THEIR nr1 djs ;)

Scratch/hiphop djs have their own magazines, own rankings, and DMC World Championships..

Tiesto might win DJMag's Top 100 DJ's poll, but he can never claim to be a DMC Champion ;)

Its just different ballparks :)

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 2:22 pm
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
They way I see it, turntablism is primarly a technical performance, that requires motoric skills, whereas club-DJ'ing is about keeping the crowd entertained.

Both are valuable skills mastered perfectly only by few, but comparing the two makes no sense. It's like comparing olympic diving to writing a book.

WOW, imagine that we agree on something again....one of us must be getting more tolerant as the years pass!

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 5:27 pm
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
ghettotech wrote :

I fail to see your point, if there even is one. A poor performace is a poor performance, no matter what sport. Just because the craft is different, doesn't mean that a club-DJ can give any more half-assed performance without it showing.

ghettotech wrote :

I don't know about that, but it sure as hell seems that it's the hiphop guys who are always the first to categorize, label and compare everything in the DJ scene. This is cool, this is not. This is "real DJ'ing", this is not. This equipment is the best, this is not. This takes more skill than this, etc etc.

Frankly I think that crap is childish and pathetic. Maybe it's a coincidence or not, but I suspect the high level of retardism displayed at Serato forum has something to do with this. I guess it's easier to live in a world where everything can be put to tiny labelled boxes. As much as turntablism takes skill, there is still a finite ways to make squeky noises by rubbing plastic.

I've noticed that club-DJ's tend to be more tolerant and open, because they know there is more than one way to skin a cat. In the club scene skill (=ability to entertain) is much more subjective.

ghettotech wrote :

Makes sense. He's a producer more than anything, so labelling himself "just" a DJ doesn't give a very accurate description of him. Not that I give a crap about Tiesto, but I smelled an attempt to imply something.

Oh my God...2 posts in a row. It's like our minds are melding! Seriously Aural, whether I agree or disagree with you I gotta say you always present an intelligent and well thought out opinion/argument.

Inviato Tue 10 Nov 09 @ 5:30 pm
dj-e-lectric wrote :
WOW, imagine that we agree on something again....one of us must be getting more tolerant as the years pass!

It just shows that we're both adult enough to judge an argument by its content, not by the person who is presenting it :)

dj-e-lectric wrote :
Oh my God...2 posts in a row. It's like our minds are melding!

It's like you said once; If I spew out enough words, sooner or later your bound to agree with something ;D

dj-e-lectric wrote :
Seriously Aural, whether I agree or disagree with you I gotta say you always present an intelligent and well thought out opinion/argument.

Thanks for this sincere compliment - even more so when it's coming from someone I've often had strong disagreements with. It takes character to praise your "enemy".

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 2:33 am
AuralCandy.Net wrote :

Thanks for this sincere compliment - even more so when it's coming from someone I've often had strong disagreements with. It takes character to praise your "enemy".

I never looked at you as an enemy, just an accomplished intellectual sparring partner......but don't worry I am sure we will disagree on something again sooner or later.

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 10:10 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
I never looked at you as an enemy, just an accomplished intellectual sparring partner...

I know, that's why I quoted the word 'enemy'...just a figure of speech :)

Inviato Wed 11 Nov 09 @ 11:03 am
I don't know comparing who's best is kinda silly. I play both and I can't stand, "Oh he plays Trance" okay its all Electronica does that make you feel better?

Personally House/Electronica DJ's is more about blends and programing (what they play) than anything else. Some use "DJ Tricks" it really depends however. I've seen many of them juggle beats, lyrics, etc.

On the Hip Hop side, search Tat Money on You Tube, Steady B's and Kwame's old DJ or DJ Scratch from EPMD or of course DJ Jazzy Jeff, the best left handed DJ to ever walk this planet.

Both tear it up pretty good. DJ Quik is an excellent beat maker and DJ, he just doesn't spin much but does his own cuts check "Quik Is the Name" or the end of "Born and Raised In Compton" or "True To Yourself" by 2nd II None, that's all DJ Quik...

Actually Muggs from Cypress Hill is pretty good too.

Inviato Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 2:09 am
Wow the music is fantastic man .
I am Dj Dark

Inviato Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 3:38 pm
Are apples better than oranges? Hard to say. But, if you have a fruit salad in front of you, from where you can pick up few slices of oranges, few bubbles of grapes, few slices of apples, mangos, pears, few pieces of pineapples, cherries and strawberries ... you might feel more satisfied.
What I mean is ... a "Complete DJ", which is capable to take the crowd through several different types of music, such as: about a half hour starting with some cool R&B, warming up with a set of old school, transacting into some funk, moving to a set of disco, adding later some house and even trance, dropping then to hip-hop for a set, combined with some reggae, reggaeton and dancehall, risen up the beat with some pop-dance, even new wave, some latino-house, and a rock-n-roll at the end will probably satisfy most of the crowd, of course, adopting for each particular set the appropriate style of DJing. You can do some scratches in the hip-hop set, you do smooth transition in the house set, some cuts in old school or r&b, ... etc. Use all the skills a dj have which is in concordance with the style and rhythm you are playing. Being able to combine smoothly all styles of music (house, trance, hip-hop, r&b, old school, pop, new-wave, hi-nrg, reggae, reggaeton, salsa, rock-n-roll ...), with the right type of mixing for each particular set of music, makes a better DJ that makes the difference.This is a simple opinion.
The question still remains: Is better to be a Michael Jordan, a Tiger Woods, a Michael Phelps ... or simply being able to swim for two miles, kick the ball in the hole in few shots and swinging 180 for a reverse slam-dunk? Who knows? ...

Inviato Tue 04 Jun 13 @ 11:43 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)