Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: crashed twice last night any help

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

BrazenPRO InfinityMember since 2008
been using same setup for about 2 years now and never had a problem
Macbook pro
M-audio external fast track pro (usb)
WD external hardrive (furewire)
Virtual Dj 6.04

mac seemed absolutly fine but twice throughout the night music just stopped playing, restarted program and seemed ok, 2nd time had to re start mac. Obviosly can't afford for this to happen, any ideas why this may have happened..

only thing that was different about my set up in the last two weeks was, official macbook plug broke and replaced it with non official plug..

any help would be really appreciated..

Inviato Tue 09 Mar 10 @ 5:28 am
It might be the replacement charger...and here's why I think so:

I recently brough a replacement charger myself - I keep the original home and the spare charger at the office. I don't know if I have received a faulty unit, but sometimes when I attach the power cord it still doesn't feed my MacBook Pro any power. This is indicated by both the LED-light in the connector and in Mac OS X's top bar. Sometimes it might light up and feed power, but after some time the LED goes dim and power feeding stops.

I'm guessing you're using your sound card and/or external hard drive in bus-powered mode. I have Edirol FA-66 Firewire-soundcard which is also bus-powered, but ONLY when power charger is attached to MacBook Pro. If MBP runs on battery, Edirol stops working. Therefor, if your peripherals are bus-powered and your replacement charger suddenly stops feeding power to MBP, your peripherals will just shut down or at least be severly disturbed which will very likely crash Virtual DJ.

Inviato Tue 09 Mar 10 @ 9:00 am
I agree with AuralCandy, I use a powered hub and have seen issues with power and bad cables do similar things right up to and including the computer restarting!

Also check your internal hard drive using Disk Utilities > First Aid > S.M.A.R.T. Status - If the S.M.A.R.T. status for a disk shows "Verified," nothing is wrong with it. If you see "About to Fail" in red letters, you should back up the disk and replace it as soon as possible.

You can also use a utility that reads more detail but you will have to google that.

I had to replace my hard drive a few years ago because it was failing... at a show no less - I had to switch to the back up decks, reboot the Mac and was good for another hour of play time before it started to fail again.

While you are in the utility check your drive with first aid - cleans some things but can generally tell you what to check or fix next.

Inviato Wed 10 Mar 10 @ 7:19 pm
BrazenPRO InfinityMember since 2008
thanks for your help guys, yep definitly the plug, i borrowed my wife's for a couple of nights work and not had any problems, have sent it back so now looks like i will have to shell out for the £60 after all.
Why a plug that costs £60 isn't lifetime guarantee is beyond me though.

Inviato Tue 16 Mar 10 @ 7:05 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)