Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Music Discussion....

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

VernskiPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Hello to all DJ's,

I'm fairly new to this forum and I'm coming to terms with what is expected from a forum such as this. Naturally this concerns myself, however I see that several users post their mixes via the forum yet very few comments or feedback is made. This is despite the fact that there are plenty of views.....

I'm not sure why this is, I have some theories but perhaps fellow users could enlighten me.

As a budding dj, there's only so much self analysis one can do on their own work as it really does require an impartial ear.

To be clear, I'm more than happy to check out and comment on work from other people, it actually helps me learn more about Djing.

Hopefully this post will spark some conversation with the above topic and maybe even prompt a few comments or feedback.

Cheers.

Vernski

Inviato Fri 08 Mar 13 @ 10:28 pm
It really surprises me that on a forum full of DJs, no one actually talks about music - especially in this area, which is what it's supposed to be for. Instead, people just post links to mixes they've uploaded (which is illegal because it's copyrighted material).

I don't know why the mods allow it.

Inviato Sat 09 Mar 13 @ 3:49 pm
With all the links in the forum I actually thought it was all fine, however I'd say you are right. But in the case of collaboration and exchanging of techniques or ideas, how can someone do this without providing some kind of music to listen to?

I see that mixcloud allows listeners to purchase tracks included in their mixes, I'm assuming that is ok?

You are right in saying that a forum full of DJ's is pretty quiet on the music discussion front.

Inviato Sat 09 Mar 13 @ 6:39 pm
5th sticky down from top is a thread specifically for user's mixes. it's been there for 5 years now and it's really amazing how few people put their mixes there and start their own thread.

as far as the mixes being copyrighted material - laws differ in different countries even those that have reciprocal copyright agreements. you can upload promotional mixes with disclaimers attached, such as the standard copyright disclaimers on youtube, or you add in on the tracks bits like "you're in the mix with dj so & so!" or record basic disclaimers and add them on the end or beginning of the track and include tracklistings. but like i said: laws vary from place to place and some are more strict than others - up to the user to do the research on that for the country they live in.

@vernski - there is a lot of actual discussion about music and mixing but it gets muddied between the two Mixing and Music Discussion threads sometimes. if you dig further back in the pages you'll find it. probably. and i believe techniques falls more under the Mixing thread.

which ones were you interested in?

Inviato Mon 11 Mar 13 @ 12:58 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
@groovin, the topic of where to allow users to post their mixes was discussed a few years ago, at mod level. It was decided, this was the best place for them. Onto the subject of posting copyrighted material, as long as the artist is given full credit, and the mixer is not accepting money for using the songs, and can prove they paid for them, the original artists/producers do not seem to have a problem with mixes. Now, if a person would post a "mix" that didn't blend the songs together, just played the entire song, allowed 2 seconds of dead air, and played another, THEN the artist/producer would become upset. The reason being, the song could be lifted, basically pirated. Use in a mix, it would be very difficult to pirate. Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

Inviato Mon 11 Mar 13 @ 8:02 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
5th sticky down from top is a thread specifically for user's mixes. it's been there for 5 years now and it's really amazing how few people put their mixes there and start their own thread.

as far as the mixes being copyrighted material - laws differ in different countries even those that have reciprocal copyright agreements. you can upload promotional mixes with disclaimers attached, such as the standard copyright disclaimers on youtube, or you add in on the tracks bits like "you're in the mix with dj so & so!" or record basic disclaimers and add them on the end or beginning of the track and include tracklistings. but like i said: laws vary from place to place and some are more strict than others - up to the user to do the research on that for the country they live in.

@vernski - there is a lot of actual discussion about music and mixing but it gets muddied between the two Mixing and Music Discussion threads sometimes. if you dig further back in the pages you'll find it. probably. and i believe techniques falls more under the Mixing thread.

which ones were you interested in?

Thank you for the information and yes I can see how it does amaze you how people (including me) scan through and miss the personal mixes sticky thread. I appreciate the nudge to the obvious... :-)

Truthfully I have never had such a rewarding pastime like bedroom DJing, even the repetitive parts where you play two songs over and over to find the best/perfect way to blend them is really satisfying. I've never had aspirations of conquering Ibiza or even making an appearance at my local night club. However after working on a mix and trying to listen with a critical ear, it doesn't seem too far fetched to at least make an appearance at the local club.

With that in mind, I would like to learn about technique and really explore how to improve my mixes beyond a hobby standard.

Also thank you for providing more clarity on the copyright issue, I wasn't sure or confident in my own knowledge, but you confirmed what I suspected.

Thank you TearEmUp and Wildcountryclub for your help.

Inviato Mon 11 Mar 13 @ 11:32 pm
@TearEmUp, I don't agree with your comments about copyright - but as you're a senior mod I'll put a lid on it.

Inviato Tue 12 Mar 13 @ 6:38 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)