Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VST Effects in VDJ

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

ugabugaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Is anyone using VST effects in their setup? If so which ones? Would like some feedback, can't find much in the forums yet.

Also I would like to know if you need to use 32 or 64 bit VSTs?

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 6:49 am
ugabuga wrote :
Is anyone using VST effects in their setup? If so which ones? Would like some feedback, can't find much in the forums yet.

Also I would like to know if you need to use 32 or 64 bit VSTs?

I have tested a few.
You need 32-bit versions, and the way I've tested them is to install them as normal, and then grab the DDLs and put them ind the "\Documents\VirtualDJ\Plugins\SoundEffect" folder (at least for sound effects)

You can then choose them as normal effects in VDJ, and if you click their settings you often get their native screens as pop-ups as seen below:

I don't think all VST effects work, though. For me it has been a bit hit and miss (maybe someone can tell you more about this)

But in the latest versions of VDJ (starting with BUILD 3671) there has been an enhancement:
"Add support for shell VST's (one dll containing multiple plugins)"
So my guess is that now more VST effects will work

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 7:51 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You need to use 32-bit VSTs on PC and 64-bit VSTs on Mac.

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 2:11 pm

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 3:00 pm
ugabugaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Thanks for the replies, I'll try out a few plugins when I get the chance, but still seems to be early days for using VST effects.

Is there anyway to sync the midi clock of VDJ to the plugin? If I wanted to put a tape delay on a track for example, could I sync it to the tempo?

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 3:51 pm
ugabuga wrote :
early days for using VST effects

Actually no. Virtual DJ has been able to use VSTs for a very long time (since VDJ 2 in 2004).

Unfortunately Atomix never really promoted the fact. It's something that gives VDJ a 'one-up' over the main competitors.

More recently, support has been added for VSTi (instrument) plugins too.

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 4:40 pm
It's not early days for VST effects on VirtualDj. I don't know which was the first version that supported VST effects, but VST effects are surely supported since version 5.

The problem with VST's is that there are hundreds of them out there. Some of them are written by professional programmers and they are really good to use, while others are written from kids for fun.
The latest tend to present bugs and therefore affect the overall performance of the VST host (any host)

As for syncing:
Yes, VirtualDj will pass the data. It's up to the effect itself to interpret them. Other effects read the BPM and Clock from the host and others don't.

So, in a nutshell: If you are testing professional VST effects everything should be smooth.
If you are testing some of the thousands of free VST's that exist out there you need to test them thoroughly.

PS: Don't get me wrong. I have nothing wrong to free VST effects or "kid programmers". I use a few free VST effects myself. It's just that only 2 maybe 3 out of 50 effects are well written and usefull while DJ-ing.

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 4:43 pm

Here's a nice free VST effect...

And as you can see it reads the BPM and clock of the deck it's activated! :)

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 17 @ 4:53 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)