Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Dynamic Beat Gridding
arvj-brPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I had the opportunity to use Rekordbox another day and the feature dynamic beat gridding is SO much easy to work with non electronic music. This kind of music is my main use and I supposed is the most used kind of music for virtual dj users. This feature has already present in several dj software in the market. Is there some idea if this resource will be part of Virtual DJ technology in the future?

Inviato Thu 27 Sep 18 @ 1:40 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The bpm editor can be used to first analyse the track with multi-bpm analysis, and then manually adjust points if necessary.
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/editors/bpmeditor.html

It is currently not really suited for constantly shifting beat grids, but it will work fine if there are several sections with different phase or bpm.

Inviato Thu 27 Sep 18 @ 2:40 pm
The bpm editor is totally unreliable for old music, live music or non electronic music. I can not understand a software so avant-garde as the virtual dj does not have dynamic beat gridding. Even the Djay Pro has. Unfortunately you can't go on in virtual dj after you have the opportunit to try competing software with this technology if you are someone who do not work with electronic music such as wedding DJs, corporate events, jazz, cocktail and etc. I'm very sad with this because I think Virtual DJ is the best in features.

Inviato Thu 04 Oct 18 @ 1:16 am
andreluizrangel wrote :
Unfortunately you can't go on in virtual dj after you have the opportunit to try competing software with this technology if you are someone who do not work with electronic music such as wedding DJs

Well... there is a statement :-)
It is of course not true - I happily use VDJ for weddings even though I also own all the other softwares including Rekordbox - and so does thousands of other DJs
It's not really a problem mixing older music - you just have to be better at mixing

Inviato Thu 04 Oct 18 @ 5:47 am
I'm sorry about my statement :-) I love virtual dj and I made so many things in there along the years like cues, automix music relatioships, scripts, custom buttons and so on... and I'm scared about lost my relationship with you because now I made me specialized in a kind of old, organic, human drum and vinil rip music and with the static beat griding is impossible to make the people dancing smooth. So the question about dynamic beat gridding is something that can help a lot. Actually is the great feature to this. What I would to known is if there is something in your radar about this or that is something that is not in virtual dj plans.

thanks in advance.

Inviato Wed 10 Oct 18 @ 4:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What is it exactly you want to do with this grid then?
Do you have an example of such a track? I can't really imagine a track with such a variable rhythm that people can't dance to it.

Inviato Wed 10 Oct 18 @ 4:54 pm
Thanks for the advices. At this moment I tried to really understand the bpm editor and it's very powerful to fix variable grids. Takes long time to put each song at the correct grid if you have lot of variables but really works. If you have time to prepare each song (aroun three time the lenght of the song) works better than the "automatic" elastic griding for the others softwares. I think vdj must have the option of automatic elastic but BPM editor works. Thanks

Inviato Wed 10 Oct 18 @ 9:37 pm
Warping (a la Ableton Live) would be the ideal solution - but it's been requested so many times I've lost count, and Atomix have never done anything even close to it.

Imagine VDJ being the first DJ software that did this. The brownie points that would score for VDJ's reputation.

There was some DJ software which unfortunately got abandoned a while ago (originally called Reflex, then RPM) that could lock variable tempo tracks together - I think by automated pitch nudging/riding.

Inviato Thu 11 Oct 18 @ 5:24 pm
It's tedious but if you use the right cue points and keep adjusting the cog and then tick beat lock the tracks will lock on and the beats will adjust, but with organic 4/4 it is a really tedious job

Inviato Tue 20 Jul 21 @ 12:24 am