Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Virtual Folders driving me crazy

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

i hope i dont come across like a pain in the a$$ to the dev teams etc...but this problem need to be solved...i have a dual boot windows system.i use side "A" for preparing music and daily pc stuff-this entails virtual dj specifics like adding songs,creating folder(crates) etc...the one thing i also try to do is keep my actual songs properly tagged and of the best possible quality..so this means that i sometimes have to replace versions of songs(i make sure the filename and tags are the same) and i may have to correct a title tag or something(which i do internally ofc with vdj).
i have noticed this about virtual folders:
if you replace a bad copy of a song with a new one with the same filename,artist and title tag,everything is fine on side "A" in terms of virtual folders...
now if i boot on to side "B" which is for djing only(i understand the process of vdj creating a Virtual DJ folder on the D: drive as the music is on side "A"'s local disc)
everytime i do editing on side a...i copy the vdj db xml and the "Folders" folder from my documents folder on side a to the virtual dj folder which is created on local disc(D:)
which is used for the side b database....is this the correct way to mirror the 2 db's so to avoid errors?
which leads me to another question....what attributes of a song vdj virtual folders take into consideration when giving u a missing file error...it cannot be just the filename and artist title tags because i still get errors although these attributes are the same...the only thing that is really changed when i replace a bad copy of a song is the date modified tag and date created tag(which i think is just windows specific)..so it means something else is causing the errors on side b of the dual boot.
another thing i have noticed...which is logical but would like to be sorted out...if i rename a file within vdj,u get an error of file missing if that song is in a virtual folder(i have tried going into the virtual folder itself and renaming it there,,but the error still persists)...i can understand this as vdj virtual folder has saved the file as the old name and once it doesnt see that specific filename..it will think the song is missing...fair...the solution is to remove the old entry from the virtual folder and then re add the renamed file(this is not too bad as the tags remain the same-bpm first seen etc).
in a previous thread..there was an indication that this had been fixed for virtual folders in the root folder only...it would be nice and time thrifty if this could be sorted out whole scale.

Inviato Mon 06 Jan 20 @ 3:29 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you have a dual boot and you store your music on the system partition, I'm guessing that it is labeled as drive C for one boot and as drive D for the other boot.
Furthermore the database would be looked for in your documents folder for boot A and in the root of the drive for boot B.

If you want to share music (and database) between 2 boots I'd recommend to create a third partition so that the virtualdj database will be looked for in the same location from both boots

Inviato Mon 06 Jan 20 @ 4:07 pm
you are correct...side a db is nested in c drive my doc and side b is on root of local disc c.
so when im done editing etc..i copy the db file and folders folder to the Virtual DJ folder on the root of local disc c.
so are u saying that this does not mirror the 2 boots db's????(p.s.) i sometimes use notepad to edit the db xml on in the root of local disc c and replace all the appearances of "C:" to "D:".
so the only way to avoid these errors is to make a third partition for the actual songs so the two boots share the same db file????

Inviato Mon 06 Jan 20 @ 4:38 pm
I have a separate partition on all my machines called D drive. You can set the VDJ home folder to D so it keeps all the files there and everything accessible from one place. If you have an external drive you can back everything up to it and sync away and everything reads the same.

My Macbook Pro 16" has a shared Exfat partition readable from both Windows and Mac so no syncing required.

Inviato Mon 06 Jan 20 @ 5:37 pm
If you copy the database and edit the paths then it should be fine too yes (although that could be a bit confusing, since the correct way to copy would then be from Documents\VirtualDJ\database.xml to c:\VirtualDJ\database.xml )
As for the Virtual Folders, they use the combination of filename and file size to find the file if the path has changed, so that's why the files show as missing if the path is incorrect for your current boot and you had replaced the files by different ones.
Right-click relocate should still point you in the right direction to fix those though.

Inviato Mon 06 Jan 20 @ 5:41 pm
thank you both for your help and suggestions..will ponder on this info to solve the problem.

Inviato Mon 06 Jan 20 @ 5:48 pm
You could also map a network drive to your paths so that the letter you use is the same regardless of the original. You would need to share the folder, but you can limit it to your user only and even set a password. You also need to calculate ignoreDrives for the options to only use that letter (or at least ignore the actual drives to prevent VDJ to scan those in addition to the mapped drive - to ignore both C: and D: the value would be 12).

To map the drive you would run in cmd as Admin:

> net use m: \\MachineName1\c\Music /persistent:Yes

and on the other:

> net use m: \\MachineName2\d\Music /persistent:Yes

where m: would be the common drive letter for both installations.

If you setup a password for the shared folder you can map it like:

> net use m: \\MachineName\c\Music /user:myUserName myPassword /persistent:Yes

Now locate "m:" (or the letter you picked) in VDJ and you should be good to go.

Just my 2 cents...

Inviato Thu 09 Jan 20 @ 9:53 am
Thanks again for all the suggestions..but after some complications of freeing up some space on my hd to create a new partition..i went ahead and followed krads suggestion to put my music folder on a separate partition with the similar filepath so as to use the same db.so far everything seems fine..just 2 questions...is the 'real' db xml file is nested in the Virtual Dj folder in the root of music partition??? And will vdj's backup feature backup up that db file...because i realized vdj creating a db file on both sides of booth in the my documents folder...but its a small file..with just entries of the sampler effects loaded..not the songs....the db in the music partition's root is the larger xml file with all song entries etc.

Inviato Thu 09 Jan 20 @ 12:36 pm
Yes, there is usually one database file in the Documents folder for files on the root drive (and online files), and one on each drive for the files on these drives.
The backup feature backs up the entries from all connected drives, so it will include the entries from your music partition as well.

Inviato Thu 09 Jan 20 @ 12:38 pm
Ok..i don't really use the backup feature as is manually backup the db xml and folders folder but it is nice to know...since i have not edited any files..so im not 100% im in the clear..but as the two booths now use a singular db file now..i am highly optimistic...can anyone here enlighten us on if and when virtual folders NOT IN THE ROOT would be automatically updated when changes are made??

Inviato Thu 09 Jan 20 @ 1:10 pm
Happy to report success on vdj in both boots..edit on 1 side reflects perfectly on the other as the music files and virtual folders etc are in a separate partition..thanks to all

Inviato Sat 11 Jan 20 @ 1:45 am
Good to hear you're sorted.

I find having the home folder on a separate partition makes it so much simpler to sync across machines. They all have a D drive internal or eternal and everything copies across perfectly every time and is fully synced.

Inviato Sat 11 Jan 20 @ 8:48 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)