Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Quick question on Networked Drives
As I'm working with video, storage can be an issue.

Is there anything to stop me mapping a remote online storage drive as a Windows Networked Drive and adding it to my local folders in VJ?

thanks

Mike

Inviato Thu 06 May 21 @ 7:20 am
Yes, it's speed.
Even with Gigabit wired LAN connection the drive will be slow.
Which may not be an issue for browsing (since VirtualDJ uses it's database to list the drive contents) but it may be an issue when you try to load a big file. Especially if your NAS closes the network connection after some time, or puts the drive(s) to sleep.
In such cases not only loading can have a significant delay, but it may also introduce DPC latency problems.
Not too long ago a user here in the forums had issues with his Pioneer controller (DDJ-RZX) disconnecting from software.
After some long troubleshooting, it was the fact that he was using a NAS that caused the disconnections. After trying with files copied locally on his machine, everything was smooth.

Don't get me wrong, using a NAS doesn't mean that you will necessary have those issues, but you should be aware of possible issues that may arise.
Therefore, I would avoid to use a NAS for main storage, unless I absolutely had too.

Personally I would invest on the biggest SSD I could get, and maybe even try to reorganize my library to exclude files I never played and most likely I'll never play in the future as well.

Inviato Thu 06 May 21 @ 11:49 am
Thank you for your reply. I'm completely in agreement that local SSD is best, but if I'm running video for 6 hours a day 7 days a week I was thinking of playlisting and using Event Manager to call them . I can't be there all the time.

In my case I am thinking of Cloudflare or AWS S3 storage and of course with fibre.

I would appreciate any comments on that particular setup.

Thanks

Mike

Inviato Thu 06 May 21 @ 1:41 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Wether you will have DPC latency problems depends on combination of network device, soundcard, motherboard and drivers for each of these.
It does seem to be much less of a problem nowadays though, so easiest way to know if it works is to try.

I don't think speed itself should be too much of an issue.

Inviato Thu 06 May 21 @ 2:05 pm
FYI I now have Amazon AWS S3 available 100% reliably using Cloudberry S3 Drive, it needs to be added in AWS applications though.

It's pretty awesome!

Inviato Tue 05 Jul 22 @ 4:57 pm