Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: song analyzing question
After fighting with gain features and turning all automatic gain stuff off I discovered that no matter what setting I have turned on or off ,I still need to manually go in to tag editor of every song and set gain to 0.0.
Now if the song gets analyzed again there will be some random numbered amount of gain applied inside tag editor and this is immensely frustrating and time consuming to set values to 0.0 inside tag editor to every song before its played or having the need to open it and verify that its set 0.0 before play.
Does anyone know how to have this done in a reverse fashion, so all songs have 0.0 dba within tag editor first off, allowing me to change it when needed later?

Inviato Mon 27 Dec 21 @ 4:31 pm
So.......what's the problem exactly?

The best option is to leave autogain on (the default) and let it do its job.

Inviato Mon 27 Dec 21 @ 7:18 pm
The gain value showed inside Tag Editor is the relative gain VirtualDJ will apply on the track when autogain is used, so that all tracks have about the same RMS volume (simplified explanation).
Instead of changing this value, You should just make sure the following two settings are turned off:
  • autoGain
  • gainSliderIncludesAutoGain

With those two settings disabled, autogain will never kick in.

Inviato Mon 27 Dec 21 @ 9:53 pm
so my problem arises when knob is center or 12:00 and it reads as -10dba but when played later it is suddenly at +10dba and anything random in between but the knob is still at 12, leaving a full 20 or more difference of gain at any point of song load. Im just trying to find a more efficient way of doing this because the software is is making way more complicated then it needs to be simply by making its own auto adjustments
or is there a way to reset what autogain has done to all my songs without individually adjusting the entire library one at a time

Inviato Tue 28 Dec 21 @ 12:12 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Instead of changing this value, You should just make sure the following two settings are turned off:
  • autoGain
  • gainSliderIncludesAutoGain

With those two settings disabled, autogain will never kick in.

Inviato Tue 28 Dec 21 @ 1:14 pm
Citras Flava wrote :
so my problem arises when knob is center or 12:00 and it reads as -10dba but when played later it is suddenly at +10dba and anything random in between but the knob is still at 12, leaving a full 20 or more difference of gain at any point of song load. Im just trying to find a more efficient way of doing this because the software is is making way more complicated then it needs to be simply by making its own auto adjustments
or is there a way to reset what autogain has done to all my songs without individually adjusting the entire library one at a time

First you need to understand what each setting does, and how VirtualDJ works.
Otherwise nothing will make sense when you try to compare apples with oranges.

SO:
autogain=auto means that VirtualDJ will reset the gain every time you load a new track to match it's target volume.
gainSliderIncludesAutoGain=yes means that at 0 (12 o clock) position VirtualDJ will apply it's gain value (as seen in the Tag Editor) so that all tracks sound about the same.
When this option is enabled it means that at 0 (12 o clock) position the gain aaplied can be "anywhere" since different tracks need different amplification to sound "about the same"
This setting allows for easier manipulation of the gain when autogain is enabled since you don't need to pickup the software position every time you load a new track.

Now with both of these option disabled, the gain slider should never "move" when loading a new track and at 0 (12 o clock) position the gain adjustment should be 0db (or to be precise your zerodb setting)

Another point when working with VirtualDJ is auto analysis.
When you load a track that's not analyzed before on a deck, then VirtualDJ will automatically analyze it and calculate BPM and Gain on the fly.
This process takes some time, though with modern computers and SSD's it quite more faster than it used to be.
However, if you start playing the track BEFORE the auto analysis completes, then once VirtualDJ finishes analyzing and calculates the new autogain value it will NOT apply it on the track in order to avoid sudden volume changes. Instead it will only update the software slider position (and numbers) to reflect the current state of the track.
That's the only case where VirtualDJ may change the "gain" (as you see it, not as you hear it) by itself after loading a track.

I hope this info helps you to understand better what's going on.
And while it is possible to set all tracks gain value to "0db" (which is not a target value but a relative adjustment) it is NOT advised to do so.
Changing the two settings mentioned above as per my instructions should have the results you want without altering the database in irreversible ways.

Inviato Tue 28 Dec 21 @ 5:18 pm
Thank for this response as this helped alot, I did not know about playing the deck faster then gain analysis. since I dont play unscanned songs anymore and I think it stems from this and the auto features.

Alot of this is comes from getting things back to what feels normal after learning this software and this was one of the struggles.

Inviato Tue 28 Dec 21 @ 5:36 pm