Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Crashing on Battery
I can't quite get my head around this one - Virtual DJ has started crashing since updating to the latest version (v2023 b7388)

The crash occurs very much predictably when loading a track that requires stems to be computed, but only appears to crash the laptop when it's running on Battery power and not mains. The stem begins to be processed then the laptop just dies completely around 30-80% of the way through the process. No blue screens, no error messages or warnings.

The laptop is easily powerful enough to handle the computation and specs are i7 9th Gen, 64GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce RTX2070 Max-Q. All drivers have been updated but this hasn't helped.

My first thought was that this is a voltage issue and the battery is defective, though I've tried all kinds of benchmarks and stress tests on the CPU and GPU but cannot recreate the shutdown, so wondered if this could be a VDJ issue specifically?

Any ideas much appreciated! I'm unsure if VDJ provides some kind of dump/log to file so I may be able to narrow this down further.

Thanks,
Dave.

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 2:41 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
We dont see any crash report uploaded to your VDJ account, so we cant really help.
What exactly happens ? VDJ shuts down and auto-restarts ? VDJ is freezing and not responding ? Computer shuts down ?

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 3:30 pm
GPU overheating and shutting the machine down perhaps?

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 3:34 pm
I think he means, Laptop Shuts off completely.

"but only appears to crash the laptop when it's running on Battery power and not mains"

Maybe Battery can't handle the load when it's processing the STEMS.

Inviato Wed 01 Feb 23 @ 5:53 pm
I am having the exact same problem with my laptop and the same build of VDJ. The only difference is my machine is plugged in.

Laptop specs:
DELL G3 3779 17"
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2022-‎09-‎30
OS build 22621.1194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

Inviato Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 1:05 am
djdad wrote :
We dont see any crash report uploaded to your VDJ account, so we cant really help.
What exactly happens ? VDJ shuts down and auto-restarts ? VDJ is freezing and not responding ? Computer shuts down ?

Sorry - just to clarify, the issue is the laptop completely powers off dead. As though I'd disconnected the battery completely.

It's immediate with absolutely no warning so I guess no chance to produce an error log! I also can't seem to locate a specific or unusual issue in Windows Error Logs / Error Reporting.

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave.

Inviato Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 8:27 pm
I have had the same thing happen with me. But not necessarily on battery. I'm loading VDJ, either connected to a DDJ800 or not. VDJ will freeze shortly after it opens. About a minute later, I get a blue screen and windows :( message and my computer reboots. ONLY happens with Virtual running, no other issues with laptop ever. This is a recent phenomenom that I only started seeing since FEB 4. Happened three times yesterday at an event.

I'm reloading VDJ now to see if it is the issue.

Inviato Sat 18 Feb 23 @ 3:34 am