Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Spring Clean... (VirtualDJ Folder)
God day all. Been a very long time since I've posted here, so dusting off the cobwebs and looking for some advice.

I've been using VDJ since 2005. My History folder goes back to 2008 and contains that playlist and every other one since.

This means my VirtualDJ folder has survived every single upgrade from 2008 to 2023.

I want to have a clear out of everything this is no longer needed. I wanna start afresh (even a clean cache) but I want to retain: History, Playlists, Mappers, Audio Configs, Cloudlists and so on.

Has anybody had a go at this?

I've made a start. I have a clean install of VDJ and a very clean VDJ Folder. I'm looking to see what I should and shouldn't copy across?

By example:

• In the clean VDJ folder, the Drivers folder is empty. but in my regular folder I see DirectML.dll, ml113,dll and vcomp140.dll. Do I need these? Are they now held elsewhere and more up to date?

• There is no VideoSkins folder in the clean folder, but I have one in mine.

• Languages folder: Empty, but in mine I have loads - I won't need anything other than English...

• Guess I can just get rid of the Plugins folder as the Plugins64 folder would be the one now in use.

For the rest, can I just copy over. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 8:21 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The Drivers folder is now always stored in Users AppData, and anyway it will be created automatically when needed.
VideoSkins would be created if you download custom video skins
The default Languages are inside the .exe since v8, so unless you have modifications or custom languages, the folder is not needed anymore.
Plugins64 is indeed the one used for the 64-bit version of VirtualDJ

Playlists/History/Mappers/Definitions can indeed just be copied as needed.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 8:27 am
Thanks for the prompt reply Adion.

WRT the new AppData location. I map my VDJ folder to OneDrive so it's always backed up.

Would the drivers still get stored in AppData if I've used the RegTool to remap the folder?

Cheers,

Roy

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 8:49 am
I've also noticed some of my mappers are based on very outdated versions.

Is there a quick way to update them or should I just take a note of my customisations and start afresh?

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 8:56 am
Hi Roy, spring cleaning is good.

I've been on Macs for a few years, so I can't comment on your PC specifics.

I've had lots of time over the last 18 months since entering semi-retirement. I found all my History going back to 2008 had lost most of its connections, it took me over a week to re-establish the connections (and discovered loads of tunes I'd forgotten about). The History has been created and maintained on 2 PCs and 3 Macs since 2008, so, it's been through the mill.

Next, I had over 80 playlists and decided to reduce the dependency on playlists and switch to Virtual Folders and Sub Folders for better organisation. Still a work in progress, but, much better.

Then they throw in re-organised CloudLists 🤣

I hope your spring clean goes well.

Cheers
Les

P.S. I assume you've done a manual backup from the program so that you can restore the relevant parts to your new clean setup.

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 3:12 pm
Hey Les,

Hope you are well...

It's more about getting rid of the dead wood elsewhere. The stuff under the covers. All the old folders from v5, 6, 7,etc...

I'm in the middle of writing a windows app that will scan all previous histories and playlists and then reconnects them with actual tracks...

I'll keep you posted and you can test for me...

Cheers,

Roy

Inviato Sun 16 Apr 23 @ 8:06 pm