Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Gear
I wonder why there is such a gap in new controllers being developed. Pioneer and Rane seem like the only companies to introduce new devices in maybe 2 years.

Inviato Tue 04 Jul 23 @ 11:52 pm
Denon/Numark have knocked out a few, albeit clones of each other. They're also going down the standalone route which adds expense.

Surprised Roland haven't replaced the green monster yet.

Also I think there's a new one from Reloop coming out soon too.

Inviato Tue 04 Jul 23 @ 11:58 pm
Hercules is coming out with a controller with motorized jog wheels.

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 23 @ 5:10 am
user17847165 wrote :
Hercules is coming out with a controller with motorized jog wheels.

Yes (the Djcontrol Inpulse T7) , and even though it's belt driven, the first reviewers seems to really like it

I'm thinking of getting one - the only controller with spinning platters I currently own is an old NS7. It's been remapped to do padpages and stems and all that stuff, but it still weighs like a ton, so it never leaves the house
The new T7 should only be about 5-6 kg

We'll see when it becomes available to buy, and gets native VDJ support...

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 23 @ 6:15 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
I wonder why there is such a gap in new controllers being developed. Pioneer and Rane seem like the only companies to introduce new devices in maybe 2 years.

I'm not sure that's exactly the case. The last years, despite having a global lockdown of all industries, still a lot of new models were released to date.
Yes, mostly Pioneer, followed by Denon and Rane.

However, you need to see this from the other side:
If you were to design or upgrade an existing design for a new controller, what would you do ? I mean besides cosmetics, and a few minor ergonomics changes, real innovation is not easy.

This year we had two great new controllers because of stems. However, imagine for a moment that stems didn't exist in competitors software yet. What would you get in FLX10 ? Marely a copy of DDJ-1000
You wouldn't call that much innovation, would you?

So, hardware and software development are bound to progress together. If one of them stagnates, then the other will follow. And maybe that's the reason sometimes you notice a slow down on things, when new ideas and improvements are hard to come by in both worlds!

Inviato Tue 25 Jul 23 @ 10:03 am