Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ problems with Mackbook M1 & M2?
Hello!
I have been a VDJ and Macbook user for many years.
I have recently upgraded my computers to a MacBook Air M2 15” 512G 8G Ram and a NI Control S4 MKIII controller.
I have started to suffer a series of micro cuts of 0.5/1 s that are really annoying, since I dedicate myself professionally to being a DJ.
I have tried several things, thinking that it could be the controller, but reading through the forum I have discovered many similar cases, always with the common denominator of the Mac M1 or M2.
Could it be that VDJ is not properly optimized for these processors??
Macbook M1 & M2 users, does something similar happen to you?

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 12:34 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
And your previous computer was ?

Did you do a clean installation of the OS or some Cloud sync ?

Have you tried to disable Stems to see if you still have audio cuts ?

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 1:00 pm
djdad wrote :
And your previous computer was ?

Did you do a clean installation of the OS or some Cloud sync ?

Have you tried to disable Stems to see if you still have audio cuts ?

Macbook pro 2018 15'
The installation has been clean and no, I did not try without stems, since I use them and I really upgraded my equipment to use them..
Really, this post is created to collect people who have bugs with M1 & M2, since I have read many similar cases and if this helps VDJ developers to pay special attention to these models for future updates, it will already be an achievement.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 1:19 pm
There is no known issue for M1/M2 in VirtualDJ.
However, the 8GB of RAM is quite small and would advise to do a few tests without Stems, just to rule out the extra load of processing.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 1:26 pm
I've been reviewing the forum for 2 days looking for similar cases and there are many, most, if not all, are from Macbooks with these processors (and with much more Ram).
When the cuts have happened to me, I have checked the CPU and it barely has a load. it is a computer dedicated exclusively to VDJ without any other program installed.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 1:36 pm
CPU load and memory usage are 2 different things.

Yes, we receive several issues for M1/M2, but we also receive the same (if not more) for Intel too.
Since the M1/M2 are now the ones that users purchase, it makes sense to get issues, it's computers ;)
Most of the issues for M1/M2 were due to old OS Cloud Sync, SIP enable/disable, drivers issue, overheating etc,
It would help if you could provide a link with a similar issue like yours (audio drop outs) that could help us to gather more info

BTW, the requirements for Stems 2.0 is 16 GB of RAM .. http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html

You could also change/increase the latency setting from VirtualDJ->Settings->OPTIONS tab and see if that helps, but again if we dont rule out the Stems, we cant be sure where the issue comes from.

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 1:49 pm

Inviato Fri 25 Aug 23 @ 2:19 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I notice you're using an S4 MKIII. Are there any common denominators for when these cuts occur?

I've found on some controllers that setting a loop on a stopped deck will sometimes cause a large interruption to the audio playback. I've experienced it on various motorwheel controllers and also on the DDJ-1000. Never on timecode though. I've got into the habit of holding the jogwheel when setting the loop and then either moving into the loop or starting playback before letting go as it's extremely embarrassing when it occurs.

Inviato Sat 26 Aug 23 @ 11:05 am
After some time trying different solutions, I think the problem is with the wireless networks. The problem has been solved by turning off the WiFi. I am happy because the problem has been solved, but disappointed because I updated my computer with a latest generation PC and I am facing a problem from the 90s. I don't know if it is Apple's fault or VDJ's fault but it is a shame not to be able to use the Streeming services while you're playing. I hope it is fixed in future updates.

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 12:44 pm
Most likely Apple. You could use an external WiFi dongle to see if the drivers are any better.

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 12:46 pm
Hi! Turning off wifi also solved the same problem on my M2 macbook air.
Would be very happy if you could fix it. :)

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 12:50 pm
Just to add here, I’ve not had any issues with my Mac Mini (my post was referenced above) since turning off WiFi during shows (it’s a good thing I don’t use content unlimited).
I constantly use stems during my performances and only 8gb ram with no issues for their usability.

As mentioned by others and as I said above, this has been resolved by turning off WiFi but that is not an ideal final solution as prior to this I was regularly downloading new music on the fly during my nights in the club. And while I never used Stems 2.0 in realtime on my 2017 MacBook Pro, I did use pre-calculated stems and also the original Stems in realtime on a couple of occasions when they were first released.

Just to talk about my setup at the club.
M2 Mac Mini with 8gb ram
Bluetooth Logitech MX Keys Mini keyboard and Apple Magic Trackpad.
15” touchscreen via usb-c
3 external ssd (2x 2tb sandisk and 1x 4tb crucial)
2x CDJ-2000
DJM-850 or DJM-900nexus (depending on the room)
Launchpad mini mk3
If playing videos in the Beergarden my video output plus decks and launchpad are all connected to Alogic TwinDock Pro HD with my drives on a 4 port hub plugged into the usb-c on the front of the dock.
In the other room I play with the DJM-850 I just use a generic 4 port usb 3 hub for decks, mixer and launchpad and the drives are connected via the same little hub direct to the Mac-Mini.

This has been my setup for at least 12 months and as I said turning the WiFi off resolved the pausing that has been happening since purchasing the M2 powered Mac in July.

Inviato Tue 12 Dec 23 @ 12:48 am