Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Virtual DJ database
wozz1820PRO SubscriberMember since 2012
Here is my issue hopefully someone has a solution. I have two laptops next to each other both running virtual dj. Each has their own external hard drive connected to it. i have the drives mapped to the other computer. It seems that whatever computer virtual dj opens first on the other one no longer will find the database. Any suggestions.

Inviato Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 3:01 pm
You're trying to use two copies of VDJ, reading from the same database? That's not going to work.

Inviato Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 3:55 pm
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
wozz1820 wrote :
Here is my issue hopefully someone has a solution. I have two laptops next to each other both running virtual dj. Each has their own external hard drive connected to it. i have the drives mapped to the other computer. It seems that whatever computer virtual dj opens first on the other one no longer will find the database. Any suggestions.

In my mind, the content of both drives should be identical, so opening VDJ on each computer should access only the drive connected to it. Why are you mapping each drive back to the other computer?

Inviato Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 6:00 pm
That behavior exists to prevent what's called a database collision, if both computers try to write to the same database at the same time, it can get corrupted. That will put you in a far greater world of hurt.

One approach would be to create a new folder on each drive that contains a symbolic link to the music folder elsewhere on the drive. Then set up that new folder as its own share to the opposite computer. The host computer will write its database to the root of the drive while the remote computer will write its database to the parent folder of the symlink.

It still is a weird setup though and I really wouldn't recommend it for stability.

Inviato Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 11:32 pm
If the drives are identical and you use the 2 systems as a backup of each other, then there's no need to map the drives on the other laptop.

If the drives are not identical, it still makes more sense to plug them both on the same laptop.
You can map them to the other laptop, but still you shouldn't access the same drive by two instances at the same time..
You should have the second laptop at "stand by" instead.

The reason (as others said already) is to prevent database corruption, database conflicts, and generally database management.

Perhaps if you say us why you choose to go with this weird setup we can come back with a better solution for you.

Inviato Mon 12 Feb 24 @ 8:58 am