Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Clouddrive Restrictions? - Page: 2
djsh69PRO InfinityMember since 2018
groovindj wrote :
You seem to be expecting it to be an exact mirror of your local drive, but that's not the idea.

It's not a backup cloning service. The idea is to keep VDJ lists in sync. The way it's arranged in the cloud is irrelevant, because VDJ knows where everything is.

N.B. I'm not siding with Atomix here (it's not exactly doing what I want either) just explaining the methodology.

I personally have no problem with all files in one folder in the clouddrive.
This is a kind of backup.
I also like the idea of streaming, when I am using the laptop of an colleague.

BUT, what is happening when I am using a second own laptop?
In this case I would expect that the music is not streamed to my second laptop, but copied (at least as an option)
If this is not happening, the cloud drive is no backup, because you will never get your data back (in a meaning full way)
I’m ok when this is not done by default, but it would be nice if there will be an option for this reconstruction.
I would not expect to recreate the original physical directories.
It would be even better, if it creates new directories with the structure of the lists …

Inviato Tue 02 Apr 24 @ 9:29 pm

Inviato Tue 02 Apr 24 @ 9:59 pm
djsh69PRO InfinityMember since 2018

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 12:34 am
If you want to keep a folder structure in your cloud storage, instead of letting virtualdj handle it, you have an option called "show all XXX folders" in CloudDrive's context menu.
It lets you browse, create folders, and upload or stream files, in the "real" folder structure of your storage engine.

(but of course, if you put the same file in several lists, it will be uploaded several time then, and the metadata won't be synced - that's the whole reason why the default CloudDrive Lists put all the files in one folder, so that they can be reused between Lists)

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 6:41 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
klausmogensen you haven't made any points!!

This is the problem with things now an days. You guys will defend companies till the death when they are wrong!!

Adion just said that as long as you sync "VIRTUAL" folders, the structure is left in tact which tells me they definitely have the means to keep my "MUSIC" folder with all its sub folders in tact if that's what I want to sync, but for some reason they don't. And if only "VIRTUAL" folders will keep the folder structure in tact then make so ONLY VIRTUAL folders can be synced. I'm not the only 1 who is disappointed with this.

And the metadata I can live without but the lumping of all the tracks together is pointless.

I don't understand why this is soooo hard for you to understand.

I don't defend anything except my own opinions. A sync feature designed to go from point A to B, and only that, should not take into consideration what people could also use it for that it isn't designed for. You are basically injecting yourself into the middle of a dsigned point to point integration, and then complain that this middle point, which is not meant for you to look at at all, doesn't look how you want it to look.
CloudDrive is not a general backup feature meant for other software to integrate to - it's a cloud based integration/sync feature between 2 (or more) installations of VDJ

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 7:11 am

This is the problem with things now an days. You guys will defend companies till the death when they are wrong!!

... oh and don't worry. I do bitch, moan and complain about new releases a lot

But I usually do it while they are still in beta, so unless you are a beta tester you won't see it :)

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 8:16 am
Duplicates are appearing in the CloudDrive list.

I first noticed this yesterday, but deleted and reuploaded the lists. Now today I look and the duplicates have returned.

Inviato Wed 03 Apr 24 @ 9:41 am
It seems that every time I run VirtualDJ, the duplicate count increases.

If I can't sync playlists (regardless of track location - local vs online) without either the metadata completely disappearing, or files being uploaded without an option to do otherwise, then it's no use to me.

Inviato Thu 04 Apr 24 @ 3:09 pm
from your screenshot, it looks like all these files are not "real" files, but streams from online providers.
For obvious legal reasons, we are not allowed to upload on your cloud storage the protected files from any online provider. (and it would make no sense anyway, why to stream from google drive when the file will need to contact deezer or tidal or whoever to validate the DRM first, better to stream from deezer or tidal directly in the first place).

We still allow "links" to online files to be put in cloudDrive lists, for convenience. But you need to understand that the files themselves are not going to be uploaded.

That being said, there shouldn't be duplicates, so it seems to be a bug. We're investigating.

Inviato Thu 04 Apr 24 @ 3:33 pm
I'm not expecting the stream files to be uploaded (of course not)!

I don't even want my local files to be uploaded. The problem is that the metadata from a streaming playlist doesn't get uploaded.

IMO it shouldn't matter whether the file is stored on my drive or a stream, any playlist that's synced to CloudDrive should contain the same metadata.

Currently, if I sync a playlist which references streamed files, ALL the metadata gets removed. When I try to look at the list in the cloud, it's blank.

I think most users would expect their playlists to contain everything they've added in VDJ. In my case I usually add BPM and key (manually - because analysing is so slow), year and genre.

Why doesn't that info get synced to CloudDrive? It's the same data as a playlist for local files.

Inviato Thu 04 Apr 24 @ 4:50 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
klausmogensen wrote :

I don't want 10,000 tracks all lumped together lol!! I need to know where all my 80's and 90's tracks are at. For me personally if there is no way around it then this serves me no purpose unfortunately...

Think of it as a backup file. Or a zip file. You don't care where each file is on those. You just care that they appear in the correct place when you bring them back/unzip.
Same thing for CloudDrive

Nah I totally disagree with this.

Whats the point of having them sync to the cloud if everything is just thrown together?? If I copy my music folder over then it should be the same in the cloud, PERIOD!! Having 10,000 tracks with no metadata of structure of any kind seems pointless to me.

And VDJ isnt the only thing I use.....

I should be able to have VDJ sync all my folders to my dropbox account which it does EXCEPT it doesnt retain the folder structure!

So If my laptop dies at a gig while using anyone of my Denon units, when I open that folder from dropbox on them its literally a list of tracks with no metadata or folder structure!!

Explain how that is useful?!?

You guys are forgetting that this isnt ALL just about VDJ, people do use other programs/systems........

No, not everything is not about VDJ
But everything about the CloudDrive feature is all about, and only about, VDJ
For other purposes you can use regular cloud syncing and/or cloud backup. There are tons of existing options for that
So I guess I couldn't disagree with you more on this :)

There are lots of other things I wish could be added/ made options for regarding CloudDrive
But how the files are stored on the clouddrive to make VDJ synci'ng as smooth as possible should ONLY be related to how it works best for VDJ sync'ing
Just like the backup format should be based on how it works best with VDJ - not for secondary purposes
And just like the database XML format should be based on how it works best with VDJ - not for secondary purposes

... I guess I made my point :)

I have a question here, i made list and synced to cloudrive, all the tracks are from streaming platforms, now when i went to my performing laptop the files can be seen but the metadata is all gone :(. i have signed into everything as well, the track does get loaded but without knowing what the track is it just shows an empty list of tracks with just the streaming service ID

Inviato 5 days ago @ 6:17 pm
This has been an issue since the feature was released.

They don't seem interested in addressing it.

Inviato 5 days ago @ 6:27 pm
groovindj wrote :
I'm not expecting the stream files to be uploaded (of course not)!

I don't even want my local files to be uploaded. The problem is that the metadata from a streaming playlist doesn't get uploaded.

IMO it shouldn't matter whether the file is stored on my drive or a stream, any playlist that's synced to CloudDrive should contain the same metadata.

Currently, if I sync a playlist which references streamed files, ALL the metadata gets removed. When I try to look at the list in the cloud, it's blank.

I think most users would expect their playlists to contain everything they've added in VDJ. In my case I usually add BPM and key (manually - because analysing is so slow), year and genre.

Why doesn't that info get synced to CloudDrive? It's the same data as a playlist for local files.

Yeah i just asked the same question, i think its most likely a reference issue. As i only see the filename even in the tag editor, i guess more information should be loaded synced, so that the list appears as it should be, but the data will be verified again once you load the track into a deck.

Inviato 5 days ago @ 6:38 pm
UPDATE

I've just tried again to sync a list of streamed tracks, and it does seem to work correctly now.

I can access the list from another PC and the metadata is intact. Loading a track (from a service I'm no longer using) works too, accessing it from the service I'm using.

Excellent!

Inviato yesterday @ 2:32 pm