Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ Convert - Need Help

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Gate7Home userMember since 2006
Hi:

I recently tried the demo version of Virtual DJ and I love it. I currently deejay using Denon CD Decks and a Pioneer mixer but I would like to start using Virtual DJ exclusively. There are just a few questions I have about possible limitations in the program.

1. Is there any way to cut the beats for loops played from the "samples" section of the program. I know Virtual DJ gives you that option for loops you create from music playing on one of the decks (i.e. change the beats in a loop from 4 to 2 to 1 to fractional beats with the push of a button) but I cannot think of any way that you can do the same for clips played from the samples section.

2. Are there any limitations to using a stereo splitter for getting a separate headphone and speaker signal? Is there any reason why I should buy a laptop with a soundcard that has dedicated outputs for headphones and speakers vs. using the stereo splitter?

3. I know that Virtual DJ offers Timecoded LP's but does it offer the same for CD's?

Thanks for your help!

Adoni

Inviato Thu 04 May 06 @ 9:31 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Welcome as a new member :)

1. No it isn't possible.

2. Yes there are two limitations. The first is you will only have a mono ouptut for both headphones and master. It's always better to have stereo at a gig. The second limitation is that the stereo output configuration is only available in VDJ Pro. Not in VDJ Home Edition.
The best would be to buy an external USB soundcard so you have two seperate stereo outputs for the headphones and the master.

3. Yes. The TimeCoded CD is free, you can download it here: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/timecode/VDJTimeCode.mp3
Then burn it to a CD-R.

Inviato Fri 05 May 06 @ 12:49 am
RoboconHome userMember since 2006
in regards to #2 so theres no way to use stereo splitter mode with nothing but laptop>mixer>pa?

Inviato Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 11:58 pm
Like JeremK said, it is possible and an option in the configuration screen of the pro version, but you will have a mono signal, for both you pa as well as your headphone. Playing in mono could give some weird effects, like if a sound (guitar, keyboard) is just played on the left channel, you wouldn't hear it if your pa is connected at the right channel.

Note that on most laptops the ouput volume for headphone is limited. When you crank the volume up (might needed in noisy environment ;-)) you probably will get distortion, which is very bad for your ears.

I would never connect a device (nor cd player, nor pc) directly to my pa system (See blog). I would always use a mixer. Then the advice from JeremK is best, get a USB souncard with 4 mono outputs (= 2 stereo outputs) and use an external mixer. You could attach your headphone to the mixer and have stereo.

Also recommended is to get a soundcard with 4 mono inputs, you could upgrade to tccd's later, as you already have Denon decks.
Ewout

Inviato Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 12:37 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Gate7 wrote :
1. Is there any way to cut the beats for loops played from the "samples" section of the program. I know Virtual DJ gives you that option for loops you create from music playing on one of the decks (i.e. change the beats in a loop from 4 to 2 to 1 to fractional beats with the push of a button) but I cannot think of any way that you can do the same for clips played from the samples section.

You can change the audio before recording the sample. It will not be adjustable during playback unless you send the sample output to a separate sound output which you can loop through an effects unit or EQ yourself.
Gate7 wrote :
2. Are there any limitations to using a stereo splitter for getting a separate headphone and speaker signal? Is there any reason why I should buy a laptop with a soundcard that has dedicated outputs for headphones and speakers vs. using the stereo splitter?

My biggest concern would be that laptop sound cards are at a very low gain level and also are notoriously noisy (you can hear your hard drive spinning up, etc.) Of course there's also the fact that splitting is going to result in mono audio.
Gate7 wrote :
3. I know that Virtual DJ offers Timecoded LP's but does it offer the same for CD's?

Of course! See the JeremK's reply to get the timecode mp3 for free.

Inviato Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 5:02 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)