Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: unstable pitch movement with TCV

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I Don't know, but the pitch change always like a flutuation ( -0.1, 0, 0,1%). it ssems like a tcv, turntable's motor or cartridge problem. some help?

Spazialex DiJ

Inviato Sat 20 May 06 @ 5:03 am
thats normal. i inquired about it also when i first started with TCVs, but i was told thats the normal flucuations of the turntable

Inviato Sat 20 May 06 @ 11:59 am
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i hope it's possible to correct this by software.

Inviato Sat 20 May 06 @ 1:34 pm
All turntables have this, it's called wow and flutter. If you notice, the average pitch will be 0% it's nothing to worry about. Only when you have Quartz activated and you get something like -0.3 to +0.1 then you should worry.

Inviato Sat 20 May 06 @ 3:24 pm
I have noticed the average with Spa, it's 0 cause it goes down to -0,1 and up to +0,1. Although this average is ok, it's not good when u spin, cause with hercules console it stay 0% and u can do a perfect beatmatch using only nudge, instead with turntables u have to stay with hands on vinyl all the time. I hope developers adjust it cause i want to use only tcv with vdj too.

Inviato Sun 21 May 06 @ 4:18 pm
Voltron, I'm not sure you understand. All turntables have wow and flutter, this means that the pitch changes minutely but is not noticable. Technics 1210s are rated with a maximum wow and flutter of 0.01% (although Virtual DJ will probably say something like 0.1 due to small imperfections and rounding).

No matter what vinyl you're spinning, you will always get this constant wow and flutter effect, however, it is indistinguishable by ear. If you have beatmatched two vinyl correctly you should be able to ride the mix with the pitch or give the platter a slight nudge rather than having to touch the vinyl.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that the -+0.1% is perfectly normal and because both turntables do it there should be no drift, the exception would be using beltdrives or possibly cheaper direct drive turntables. If you are unfortunate (like I was), you may find you are only able to use one side of the tcv because the other side has suffered from warping; the beats start to drift with nothing I can do about it. However, you'll notice this because Virtual DJ will say something like -0.3% +0.1% so you would notice.

If you don't believe me, load the same song on both Virtual DJ decks and use the quartz on your turntables. Line up the beats and put your crossfader in the middle, the beats should not drift other than a sometimes cool sounding phazing effect, just the same as with any normal vinyl :-)

Looking forward to see you as a professional user with no limitations for tcv,
Andrew

Inviato Sun 21 May 06 @ 4:29 pm
The problem for me is that if the tune has a continuous monotone sound in it you can hear the pitch change up and down and it sounds weird (not to say "bad"). I have never heard that when a play a vynil with a similar sound on it so I don't quite understand wat's going on... VDJ seems to actually enhance the problem...

My setup is :
soundcard:maya 44 USB
decks: Mk2 1210
PC PIV 3Ghz 1g Ram

and the flutter is a bit more than 0.1 for me, more like 0.2 or 0.3

Inviato Sun 21 May 06 @ 7:04 pm
Maybe you also have warped vinyl, if you try using the other side is the situation any better? You shouldn't be getting that high on 1210s, even my TT500s manage near enough 0% and at worst -+0.1%

Inviato Sun 21 May 06 @ 7:16 pm
A real DJ ain't gotta worry about pitch flactuation. It's not like it's going from 0 to .5. It's unnoticeable and you can always use pitch bend if it sounds that bad.

Inviato Sun 21 May 06 @ 8:07 pm
Andrew87 got it all right. I have normail vinyl records, which are impossible to beatmatch due to extreme warping - also casuing long, constant tones, like high pitched synths or horns to sound awfull. My first set of TCVs both suffer from warping, making only one side usefull for beatmixing.

Anyhow I reported this to Atomix and after a few months they sent me a set of new TCVs, with both sides usefull. You might wanna try this as well Andrew. It´s a DAMN high price you pay for faulty equipment, because of the astronomic shipping fees they charge.

Inviato Sun 21 May 06 @ 8:17 pm
Yes, I don't have a problem with beatmatching at all, it's just that sound on certain tracks.
I haven't really noticed which side I use so I'll try that out. Didn't really notice any warping either but I do have rather old TCVs, as I bought them shortly after they came out... I'll check that when I get home..
F

Inviato Mon 22 May 06 @ 5:11 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
VDJ will sometimes speed up and slow down slightly when it is reading bad tiemcode, if the signal gets any worse at this point it wil make a hiccup like when it goes over some dirt or dust when you are using an old TCV. any worse and it will skip.

can a teamer say if timecodes are read in reverse yet? had forgoten about that

Inviato Tue 23 May 06 @ 12:55 am
Well many teamers will say NO. however on my TTx I've loaded a track and played it in reverse and never had any trouble at all with it.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Inviato Wed 24 May 06 @ 1:53 pm
They work in reverse, if they didn't scratching would not be possible. I don't know how stable the pitch is in reverse though.

Inviato Wed 24 May 06 @ 7:46 pm
regular wow & flutter just like regular play for those that have a reverse switch on their TTs.

Inviato Fri 26 May 06 @ 4:20 pm
Do u know if virtualdj dev-team has improved something about TCV on vdj 3.4 (or future 4)???

Inviato Wed 31 May 06 @ 1:24 am
Yes :)

Inviato Wed 31 May 06 @ 1:26 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)