Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE PROBLEMS

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I owned a toshiba laptop, and now I currently purchased a new dell laptop...System info. T 2300 1.66GHZ, 1 Gig of Ram ...
All my music is on a usb external hard drive (80 gigs) I use atomix and dj off my external hard drive, djing is fine, however recording, when i play it back i hear random skips on the file.
Does the fact that i use an external hard drive affect my recording. The saved recorded file is stored on the internal hard drive of the computer not on the external hard drive. The external hard drive is only used to store mp3s.
Is this problem related to my external hard drive?

Inviato Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 7:55 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
cant provide an answer.. but for whoever can- they can probably answer my quickie question too

if i have a choice between playing music files on the same HD as my vdj and machine compared to a firewire external which should i chose? (2.0 ghz dual core, 1 gig ram, plenty of everything)

Inviato Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 9:06 am
Ktilak,

You should always keep your VDJ in a different partition then your OS. You have a firewire, which is the best, you shouldnt have any problems using your external HD, so I suggest you keep it that way. I use a external in USB 2.0 and I got fantastic results. Firewire can only be better.

Karlo.

Inviato Mon 19 Jun 06 @ 12:27 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If you can, avoid external hard drives, because they present reliability and integrity issues. Most of the time, they'll work fine, but not as reliable as an internal drive.

I've had lots of problems with delayed write failures on USB2 and ESPECIALLY Firewire drives. Firewire actually does operate slightly faster overall than USB2, but it seems that most of the IDE to Firewire bridge chipsets are pretty buggy.

What I do is keep the most essential collections of music on my laptop's internal, so it's always with me, and I keep my collections of albums and special material I only use occasionally on the external drives. That way if my externals crap out, get stolen, or whatever, I can still do 90% of what I need to do.

If you have a laptop, you could look into getting eSATA (external Serial ATA) enclosures with SATA drives, and get a PCMCIA eSATA 2 port card. That's what I'm about to do, and it should improve reliability and performance considerably. (In theory it's like having the drives connected internally at full speed).

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 7:14 pm
Hey Supacon,

Thats some advice there u throwing @ us...THANKS!!!

Inviato Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 8:32 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)