Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video Ripping, Promo Only, DivX

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

OK, the same questions get asked on a regular basis.

How do I rip Promo Only?

What's the best video format to use?

How do I correct video-audio out of sync?

Well, I've just added a tutorial to my blog, it covers ripping video including promo only, DivX conversion and how to resync audio/video mismatch

enjoy

Inviato Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:42 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Good job, Top!!

Inviato Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 2:56 pm
Nicely done, Have you tried ImTOO DVD ripper? It ripps directly to .avi, divx or mpeg1/2/4 without the need for conversion. I use it ripping to "Same Quality as original" directly to .avi and PCM audio (wav) and the results are fantastic (in my opinion better than mpeg2) and as an example size, Barton, To Call My Own, from the promo only July 2006 dvd 4 minutes long file size, only 227,672kb....I know to some this may sound big but this is a 720x480 3200 bitrate with full 44.1khz wav sound.....I keep the quality high and full wav sound files so I don't lose quality when editing in Vegas Video and Adobe audition, and hoping some day they will have a compressed video format that actually looks good (the video equvilent of a 192mp4).....Both the ImTOO ripper (actually they call it an "encoder") and the Sony Vegas Video can select the DivX 6.2.5pro codec..............All I need to know now is how do I get Virtual Dj to use this codec instead of the generic "Video Codec" or the "WindowsMediaPlayer Codec", any ideasTopHouse?

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 4:00 am
Nice detailed tutorial TopHouse.

Slightly offtopic: DivX seem to have such a hold on compression even though XviD (DivX backwards incase you didn't realise) is probably the better codec and did I mention completely free? DivX is good to use if you want to rip an entire DVD with all it's features and menus intact into a smaller file, otherwise XviD is brilliant.

Even better than both DivX and XviD is the new H.264 format which will be the compression method used in HD-DVD (and Blu-Ray?). x264 is an example of a free H.264 codec although it does a superb job. If you're transcoding files using lossy compression and want to maintain as close to the original quality as you can, this is the codec of choice.

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 4:24 am
Andrew, Is there a particular Xvid program/module that one needs to download?

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 6:43 am
X Vid Codec
http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

For any other video codecs, download the relevant codec, check that the file plays ok in media player, then in file types in VDJ config, add the file type, ie "DivX" and set to play using media player.

I have used Imtoo but I just find my way gives me better results, also you can manually crop individual files in Dr DivX, comes in handy for those Promo Only that have HUGE black bars top and bottom.

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 2:58 pm
TopHouse....If I understand you correctly there is a way in Media Player to change the codec media Player uses for avi files (I can't find it, found it in Winamp but not Media Player) and then Virtual DJ uses it too, does that mean Virtual Dj is really Media Player on Steroids? And how do I change it in Media Player..........Sorry if I sound stupid on some of this stuff guys but I really don't do any programming and if it aint plug n pray I need a program config to have a drop down box that gives me all my options and I just select the one I want to use..........when I make toast I don't have to open up the toaster and change resistors to get a different temperature setting I just turn a know on the "user interface"

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 8:26 pm
If you simply download the divx codec and install it, any divx files will automatically play in mediaplayer.

If you do the same with the 'real alternative' codec, then rm files will also play in media player.

It just does it on it's own.

Right, some Divx files have the suffix .avi some have .divx however, you can safely rename divx's with a .divx suffix to .avi they will still play fine.

With regards a .divx file, install the DivX codec, then try to play a DivX file, it will play in windows media player. Now, to play it in VirtualDJ, click "config" then "codecs". Next click the "add" button, where it says "extension" just type in "divx" (without the quotes) then where it says "decoder" there's a dropdown box, just select "windows media player video decoder". That's it, now if you throw a divx file onto your VirtualDJ decks it will play. No complications having to tell media player where anything is.

BUT, in VDJ you can also select just "video decoder" and it still works, some find though that if they have problems with "video decoder" that it fixes their problem if they select "windows media player video decoder"

It's that simple, you have the codec, it will play the file.

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 9:01 pm
to dj-e-lectric

just some input for you. If you use smart ripper you will only use about have the space that your getting with those avi's, and have the original quality, without losing anything. Just the straight .vob files. If you don't like vob files just rename the extension to .mpg so other players can read it. My vobs that I rip from promo only are an average 150,000.

Just a heads up : )

Inviato Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 10:48 pm
Tophouse, thanks...I must be okay then because that's how I have it set.....Funkturnal....I get the same size files. I used to decrypt full mpeg2 (vob) files with dvd decryptor, but Adobe Audition won't read mpeg2 files to bring in and edit the audio so I need to use .avi's (no difference in quality either way they are both 1 to 1 copies of the original mpeg2 on the dvd)...............on a brighter note using the new DR DivX once my video and audio has been edited and remixed I can compress video significantly and audio from wav to 192kb mp3 and the total file size drops from about 150kb to only 40kb and unless your blowing it up on a REALLY good projector there are virtually no artifacts visible............I was quite impressed with the new Dr Divx, because my old 1.0 version kind of sucked as artifacts started appearing with only a 10% compression..........someone mentioned h264 was even better and that is included in Sony Vegas Video, but after compressing a few test videos whenIi tried to load them in Virtual DJ it just crashed (I mean literally closed the program!). I will do some more tests this weekend using media player if that will work but DR Divx was impressive enough................By the way the smaller file sizes still didn't help my freezing problem, but will help my hard drive space problem.

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:44 am
kewl then,

I did my first extended video intro last night, I used vegas (mpeg2 format, 4200 variable bitrate for my video) My original mpeg file size was 89mb, after doing the 16 second intro the file increased to a 138mb. I went a little high on the bitrate just because I'd rather lose just a little space to guarantee me that I don't lose anything I don't catch during production.

I've tried divx but not dr. divx. What version # are you using so I can give it a go? When I used regular divx the extension was .divx instead of .avi. I tried throwing the .divx in vdj, but it could not read.

As far as the avis, I'm assuming the program has to convert to get the avi., which probaly takes a while. I understand that adobe doesn't read mpeg. I throw the mpeg into vegas, render just the audio as a wave, throw the wave into adobe, mix that down & throw that back into vegas.

Let me know about the dr divx.

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 8:05 am
funkturnal wrote :
kewl then,

I've tried divx but not dr. divx. What version # are you using so I can give it a go? When I used regular divx the extension was .divx instead of .avi. I tried throwing the .divx in vdj, but it could not read.

As far as the avis, I'm assuming the program has to convert to get the avi., which probaly takes a while. I understand that adobe doesn't read mpeg. I throw the mpeg into vegas, render just the audio as a wave, throw the wave into adobe, mix that down & throw that back into vegas.

Let me know about the dr divx.

Read my post 4 messages up, it answers a couple of your questions. Re DrDivx, the divx company dumped drdivx for the new software "divx converter". DrDivX is now open source and you can get the latest version and more info here :-

http://www.divx.com/divx/drdivx/

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 11:56 am
dr divx 2.0 OSS, TOPHOUSE is correct it is linked through the divx site but no longer done by them.........The settings I used for my custom profile are in the advanced tab are, Check "Use presets to configure encoder", set the quality slider to the farthest right "quality" setting, under pre-processing tab leave everything as is except select "resize to width" enter 720 (it will then default to 720x480), leave codec settings as they are, under audio tab leave all the defaults except "bitrate", change to 192khz (or your favorite mp3 bitrate) and "sampling" change to 44.1khz and take off audio booster (I already compress/limited my audio in Adobe Audition), check the box for "Encode all selected tracks with these settings" and lastly press "save encoding settings" button and enter the name for your pre-set.

Any file with the .dvx extention can be renamed with a .avi extension without any modification just as a .vob can be renamed .mpeg2

My initial test was done with Filterfunk, Message In A Bottle. Original Promo Only ripped to mpeg2 was 127,518kb with dvddecryptor, ImTOO .avi was 116,400kb, (both were set for same quality as original).....................the Dr Divx (from the .avi) was only 20,233kb......about 1/6th the original................I finally got VDJ 4.0 working (another post in General Discussions titled "Finally got 4.0 working, but on wrong computer"........., I tested it on a 27" monitor next to the dj booth. I looped both players a and b (a with the original .avi and b with the divx renamed .avi) and crossfaded back and forth betweent the two and asked customers and employees which one they liked better without telling them why I was asking or which was which and only 2 out of about 20 people said could even tell the difference and the two that said they could selected the dr. Divx version (so I really don't think they could).......I also rerendered using the MP4 AVC setting in Sony Vegas (which uses h.264 and aac audio) and the file size was even smaller at 17,733kb, but it took twice as long as dr divx and I still can't get this one to open in VDJ.

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 1:52 pm
Also, I found out tonight but haven't tried it yet, ImTOO DVD RIPPER PLATINUM 4.0 will ripp directly to mp4 using h.264 codec but in the set up it is confusing because it gives a max resolution of 320x240 but an option to rip at same quality as the original. I have an email to tech support to see if it will actuall rip at the 720x480 resolution.

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 1:55 pm
Does VDJ support h.264?

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:30 pm
I haven't gotten it to work yet, but then until last night I was having problems just getting program to work, if it does please someone tell us how, if it doesn't maybe with 4.1?

Inviato Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 8:45 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)