Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Club Mixing-MPORTANT

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Do you not thing that mixing can pretty much go out the window in some clubs when people come up an start makin requests all the time? I know most of you will know what I'm talking about! Someone, please releate to me!!!

Rory

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:02 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I know what your saying, everyone wants to be funny, they make a request of something that can't possibly mix into your current set, I love when other Dj's do it just to see you mess up, Thats when I show off and usually they leave lol..Most of the time this only happens in bars
In clubs I'm usually playing one genre of music

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:36 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I play more than one genre, and I'm taking requests, but if request is not what I can play at the moment, than I wont, not even for the money (they always bring it from the pocket if I don't wanna play something :) ). I am a good DJ and I don't wanna spoil the dancefloor to earn some extra cash, I am well paid for a gig and I want to play at that club again. Reputation is at the first place, money is on 10th...

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:52 am
You said it right DJ-ALF

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 9:24 am
hey

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 9:28 am
In my opinion playing the right song at the right time for the crowd is more important than whether it mixes or not. I resident at a large club that does over 1000 people per night on Friday and Saturday (#1 grossing club in Phoenix the past 2 years) that plays everything top 40 from the 60's thru today and even throw in some techno/house and country. I mix when it is appropriate and usually can get away with playing short sets of 3-4 songs of like genres or compatible songs from different genres and still do some nice mixes, but the variety of music that keeps the clientelle the owner wants in the club happy and returning every weekend is much more important than showing off for other Dj's. Most of the time I can't even play more than a half dozen songs a night I really like, I'll be damned if I am going to play a song for another DJ (who if he was any good shouldn't be in my club on a Friday or Saturday he should be playing somewhere)...............Like you said $5, $10 or $20 is not worth screwing up the confidence the owner has in me and besides I'm not a jukebox...... Of course if someone wants to give me a tip for something that will fit the format anyway or just because they like my set or they want me to make a birthday announcement I will gladly accept it because at 2am a double meat with cheese Whataburger sure tastes good on the drive home!

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 3:00 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Damn, I'm not getting the kinda tips I used to get. How do you get the requesters to stop being so cheap?

I need a tip jar with big flashing lights in it or something :P

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 7:40 pm
I hear the topless bars still tip very well...........actually you are right people don't seem to tip as well as they used to. I used to average $150-$200 a night in tips back in the 80's, in the 90,s it was more like $100 and now days I'm lucky to get $30-$40.............You know it really sucks when batenders walk with $500-$600 a night because of the crowd we bring in and retain. I think it's time bar owners started requiring the bartenders to TIP US OUT. True the marketing initially brings the people in, but it's the Dj that makes sure the crowd is happy and makes sure the "right" crowd that actually spends money and does tip the staff keeps coming back. In my 25 years I have never been able to convince any owners about this except one (I have had owners that paid me a % of door or sales but those are few and far between). Sometimes I get tire of seeing other employees making more than me BECAUSE of me................just my rant for the day!

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 11:23 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I will only play a request if it suits the current song being played, otherwise I tell them "I will try to find it" and forget about it. At larger clubs, I don't get any requests at all.

Inviato Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 12:10 am
Listen to the requests. It's a tool for what people want to hear and gives you insight to why people came to that bar/club/party.

If your dance floor is slow play whatever gets requested. At least the people that requested the song will dance and that might get things going.

Of course, if your in a club people come to hear a certain genre or two so play that. Keep the tracks new and throw on an old gem every now and then.

Keep as many of your friends that can fit next to you in the booth or DJ area. it's a good shield from the crowd and it will keep bogus requests out of your mind. Your friends will filter in any good requests to you.

Inviato Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 1:37 am
I've been noticeing a trend lately of people being down right demanding when requesting songs.

I usually get :
Why don't you have that?

You should go online and downlaod it right now, you have a computer there.
Play it next, I'll love you forever.
They had it here last night (I laugh at this cause more than likely I was dj'ing the previous night)
You can play it again no-one will notice.
What do you mean no Gangsta rap?, Snoop Dogg, and 50 Cent, DMX, DR D.R.E, Xzibit, Natt Dogg, They're not GANGSTA Rap. (I love that one, I get it about 5 times a night)
Can you hold my jacket for me?
I'm going outside for a smoke; hold my drink will ya pal?

Slapping my back repeatedly while yelling HEY MR DJ MAN, STOP IGNORING ME ( this is usally done when I'm about to make an anouncement or am mixing a song.) This is also my biggest pet peeve of the night, I go right squirrly about this one. I usally turn around and just tell them to go away I'm not taking they're request.

I'm sure more could be added to the list.

Yeah I agree with you other fellows - tips have been sucking lately, but strangely, beer and shooter tips have been increasing. My customers want to get me hammered more then they want to give me money.
Every now and then I get offered recreational chamicals as a tip, I just re-sell the stuff. Money is a better high then being screwed up.

DJ MArcel

Inviato Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 1:49 am
I have also noticed it is mostly the hip hop/rap clients that are the most rude, impatient, ignorant (don't know the title or artist they want....you know the one that says f*ck in it all the time, or request the song by the 14th rapper listed as "featuring" on the song). I find it amazing how someone will request a rock song or country song with "(..when you get a chance could you play AC/DC or Save A Horse", the house techno people usaully ask "........later tonight when the old people are gone can you do some techno" and the hip hop crowd is ".....this sucks, when are you going to play something good". My favorite is when your playing 140bpm techno like and they ask "can you play something faster, this is too slow to dance too" I respond "what would you like" and their reply is "Laffy Taffy or 50 cent or something with a beat"...........faster, something with a beat.....how about you learning to count and get a life!

I also like "can you play 50 cent" and you play Lil Bit and they come running up to the both "change it, not this one, I don't know the name but, you know the one everybody likes"

9 out of 10 clubs in Arizona are hip hop/rap (at least as long as they are open before the shootings and underage drinking gets them shut down), why would you come in to a club that CLEARLY advertises it is primarily a retro club playing the most familiar hit music from the 60's thru today and complain we don't play enough rap! If you like hip hop and rap GO TO A HIP HOP CLUB, dance your ass off, get drunk, get shot and live happily ever after and quit bothering me and the 1000+, 30+ year old, mature, open minded, educated, career oriented adults who come to my club to get away for rap!

Inviato Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 1:09 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)