Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptops

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi guys,

I've been using virtualdj on my old laptop, i was a bit unsure about buying a new one till i had tried the product and decided if it was something i would make use of.

I've had surprisingly good results from a very basic system.

Compaq Evo 1020v Notebook

Pentium 3 2.4 GHz

1024 Ram

64mb shared graphics (and i changed the UMA to 32mb and found better results!!!)

External Creative Sounblaster 4.1 S/Card

I've been running this system into a club video mixer which then goes out to about 15 Plasma screens.

I also carried out all the tweaks, adjustments, stopping unwanted services etc as described in various posts, and system has been usable for me.

The main problems i've discovered are not a great quality output (due to a really old, low spec shared graphics) and the amount to time needed to decode a video track before playing it.

At this stage i should point out that i'm only using the system for video and i've encoded using avi / divx with the avearge file size of my videos being 60 - 80,000kb

Ok, now onto the questions!

I know that a dedicated graphicss card is going to give me the best performance, but at this stage, going down that road still seems a little out of my price range.

I don't use the video effects on virtualdj, only straightforward video and sound.

Seeing as the system i've got is usable, will i gain much better performance/speed in loading the tracks and video quality output if i stayed with a shared graphics system, but upgraded to something with 128mb graphics, 2gb RAM and a duo core processor? (I must admit i don't know much about processors since they evolved from Pentium 4's)

What do you guys think?

Also, are there any brands of laptop to avoid?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Gary

Inviato Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 7:39 pm
Having looked through a few other posts, i see that 256mb dedicated is what most people say is best to use as a minimum for video mixing.

What are you guys doing that i'm not? I'm getting a reasonably good ouput from 32mb shared.

I'm having trouble understanding this! lol

Inviato Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 8:30 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)