Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: From Automatic to Manual

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

- No, not talking about cars - LOL

I honestly have a big doubt: getting into DJing world wasn't very hard for me, since I've learn music since 5 years old. But, with all modern technologies I think I've done the wrong "walk" cuz I'm a freelancer and began directly with VDJ (instead of mixing with a turntable, console, etc...)

So I wonder if, for a guy like me who mixes in front of the computer only with the mouse, it's easier or harder to go on turntables, consoles, EQs, using both hands... =S Cuz - even if I've used an EQ once - I don't believe I have much experience. So, IS IT HARDER OR EASIER TO GO FROM AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL MIXING?!

Can u help/advise me please?

Thanks, regards.

Bart, Dj Tolentino

Inviato Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 9:00 pm
IMHO:
I think it's harder to transition from digital to analog. Turntablism, you get more of an ear for sound since you have to pay more attention BPM, Key and transitions.

Also, I think you become more adept in choosing your next 2- 3 songs in your rotation.

Computer DJing, everything is there in front of you already. Your next choice in songs are on a list so you have to know which one is going to hit the WOW factor and keep the crowd moving.

Every weekend, I think about the how my ear for "detection" might be decreased but my ability to cater to the crowd is enhanced because how fast I mix a set.

example: this past wkend, I wanted to get through my hip hop request. I played each song for about 1 min 30 sec before transitioning. Some people got upset that I didn't play the full song but these are the same people that would give me a list of request. The big picture went well and people loved the fact that I hit all the party favorites in a short time. Now I can move on to regular agenda as I planned.

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 1:02 am
Thanks fatkatzdj :)

I also thought it'd be harder in my case... Although u can also do, as I believe most of the ppl actualy do, that is to have "everything in front of you" and "join in" some consoles, turntables, EQ's and everything =D Like that u dont even have to "move" to search for ur CD's and vinyls, right?

Regards. Tolentino.

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 3:16 pm
I still use an extra old laptop that used when atomic ( ejay ) was in version 1x... I use it for my music catalog of the music on cd's- pre computer... so every once and while I'll look at my catalog that I have listed by genre ( for club use ) and weddings listed by ( artist - song ). I get a lot of good ideas of what I want to play in the next couple of songs, especially when I'm ready to play some older music that I know most dj's at least in this area don't have or willing to play.

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 9:11 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I would think it would be harder to go from PC djing to non-PC djing. With PC you have a list of songs, and in most casses a sweet search feature. My most difficult transition so far was from 12" EPs to CDs. Using vinyl I would look thru a case, see a cool song, think (Yeah thats four down the road) and leave it standing up a little to find it easily later. Not an option with CDs. So I got in the habit of jotting songs down on a sheet protector (with a plain white sheet of paper in them) with dry erase markers. After I played said song, erase note. Now its "Type name of song here" and the work is done. I love the comment field in VDJ/CUE I have a lot "Clean radio edited" songs for earlier in the night, or for younger crowds. Not to mention the odd "We are a very Christian family, but love to dance", and the comment field is great for that type of thing. So I would think it harder for youngster today to "back engineer" DJing then an old guy like me to learn a whole new set of technology.

Inviato Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 9:39 pm
I did actually the transition (well still doing as i'm switching back and forth regularly between turntable).

Here's what i found easy and what was difficult:

1) As I have a photographic memory it was easier for me to find rightly the song i wanted to play out of my box of vinyl than to have to search to the list on my computer.

2) Cueing is harder with vinyl. It take some time before you find the right cue place on vinyl.
Thus you will in the beginning make naturally longer mixes (play songs longer) on vinyl.

3) Beatmatching is harder at first on vinyl but once you get it, it's easier to get 2 songs at the right speed and to correct for songs with changing bpm's. In virtualdj if autobeatmatch doesn't work it's a little bit harder as my ear hears better lagging beats than i can see on the screen in vdj.

Most important: Put your vdj miles away from your turntables so you are not tempted to 'cheat' eg drop the vinyl mixing and go back to vdj. And also if you use timecoded vinyl,
put a blank paper on the 'tooltip' thing so you can't see the bars.

Good luck,

Inviato Thu 12 Apr 07 @ 8:16 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)