Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: I CAN'T BELIEVE IT FREEZES! - Page: 3

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Maybe i have just found the solution:
try to test the option "background services" in the same pannel as the virtual memory in Windows

Regards

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 12:53 am
I'll try,

But thought I found it too when working fine w/o external devices. But then I plugged em al back in and instead of crashing in <1 hour did not crash in 4 hours! Very long or short random time till crash so hard to debug.

I need a client to walk in to the room to ensure a crash! LOL!

I will try that though, thanks. That new DEP looks suspicous too.... I use my DJ PC for only DJing, almost never touches the internet or has any other apps on it, but that control looks worth trying too.

Also I hooked the USB HDD to my Desktop and I am pretty sure the music was garbled after ~2 hours. A close and open of VDJ made it work again, that's when I moved all externals back to notebook but would not crash! With either USB or 1394 I/F I thought I had it narrowd to 1394 (Much more work for OS than USB)... But guess not...

Like I said it of course crashes less when your not at a gig LOL!

Thanks DJCEL will get back to you.... It is a full-time job now....

BTW, ever any reports of problems running with mirrored RAID HD's, trying to pic a server....

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 1:12 am
Hey here is one for ya...

When experimenting, I went from no external devices to stopping VDJ and plugging in sound card. Never exited just switched to advance two card config. Worked fine w/o closing and re-opening app. Congrats VDJ that is sometimes not the case when a new sound card is added on the fly. Then I closed app connected external HDD and ran with no blank screen for 4 hours. Rebooted with all connected at boot time and it hung in 10 min while I was writing last post!

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 1:19 am
muzzaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Partyperfect,

It's a great feeling knowing that people are readily available and prepared to help with your problem.

Totally understand that in order to provide professional entertainment, your equipment must be reliable.

Virtual DJ has never let me down during a live performance, nor my equipment, but that can change at any time & you must be prepared for the worst and have a backup plan in place ( an ipod, cd players,etc.) Don't make the mistake in hidding these misfortunes during a performance but rather rise above it, make people aware you are having a slight technical difficulty and make a funny situation out of it. You'll be amazed at how understanding people can be as long as you work with them together.

If you try to hide it, people get very impatient and the wispering starts.

A crash, freeze, blown speakers, power trip, mic drop outs, etc. All these things can happen during a function and you must be prepared for it.

I know you & the team will eventually find a solution to your problem and it is great to see you pro-active now!

Best wishes!!!

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 5:20 am
I do have all back-ups ready and never needed any and never had an imbarassing moment other than blown breaker at a place stupid enough to have the DJ outlet 15 amps ;-)

That is why I never switched from BPMstudio for 5 years, not a burp... That's also why I do not use a notebook, but a server, new server will be raid 1 with Notebook as back-up. Speakers are non-powered top of the line PLX amps and JBL MP410's... No price spared for great equipment and never an embarrasing moment other than breaker which is not my fault....

Tried backgroud rpiority in virtual memory, no luck.

BUT I set Latency from medium to LOW and no crash over night....

Let you know further....

BTW Muzza were are your sample slide shows? How is canon 30D? A bit over kill no... I still live on a 10D and even my G5 takes great pics as long as using external flash ;-) I didn't even know the 30D was out over the 20D... But another matter....

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 3:43 pm
I don't bother uploading the slideshows, huge downloads are enoying for visitors. I send samples to prospect clients.

As for the 30D as you said earlier.... "No price spared for great equipment".

Absolutely fantasic camera. My only complaint is the total weight. Gets a bit heavy towards the end of the night. lol

Night photography is difficult without a tripod, but with an iso setting of 3200 and a 17 to 85mm Image stabalising USM lens the 30D really stands out.

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 4:33 pm
partyperfectdj wrote :
BUT I set Latency from medium to LOW and no crash over night....

Where did you change that? Latency of what?

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 5:32 pm

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 6:22 pm
OUI don't ever go over 200 ISO Grain is horrid.... See my site where a pro used 800 on a Mark 3 and grain horrid.

Just use a 580 flash and chew those batteried up and use an omni bounce for no red-eye and perfect pics even dark. Many Many of mine are all from dark rooms at ISO 200 or even 100.

But yes even 10D gets heavy....

Also Image Stabilizing os ONLY for Still pictures of non-moving objects. Never use on people it does not help light problem.

And be careful to use Av mode with flash time set to 1/200th sec rather than 1/60th and ap 3.5 - 5.6 if in P or Auto mode your 17mm lens will open up to f1.8 and depth of field/focus will be poor and people out of focus.... Let the Flash do the work ;-) Trust me I also have patents on Visual Inspection machines using strobe lights and CCD camera's ;-) Slight optic and Digital Imaging expert from that and Ultrasound designs....

Inviato Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 7:33 pm
For printing output i would agree on keeping the iso levels low but if you are getting noise at 400 then i would be seriously be considering another camera. Even the consumer digitals give great results at 400.

The 30d has given me amazing results at higher iso levels with minimal noise especially for for tv output.

Letting the flash do the work eliminates motion and atmosphere and requires the need for manual timing adjustments. it also makes the photos lifeless. but each to their own!

Blur is great when used correclty and captures motion.

I use sync flash mode for 580ex, battery life is very conservative & i don't find the need for omni bounce, i get plenty of harsh light from the Gobos so it defeats the purpose.

And my 17mm to 85mm specs are F4-5.6, it cannot open up to F1.8. Hence, plenty depth of field for small parties!

But what do i know? i'm just a dj with a camera. lol

Thanks anyway. But i think we are getting a little off track.

Lets focus on the thread, and concentrate on fixing your problem!

Inviato Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 9:26 am
What's your monitor? Size and type
Frequency of the monitor? 60Hz?
Colors quality in 32 bits?
Screen Resolution?

Try with an "empty" skin (test with the apopsis TCV skin for example)

Inviato Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 6:03 pm
n3lsonPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I felt the same frustration as many of you here. I bought the program and bam blank screen after 5-45 min. After much reading i tried my own tests and i found that when the laptop screen goes blue,green,purple whatever fabulous colors the music keeps playing. I close the laptop and open it up and it works fine again.

Final test. I changed my screen resolution from 1280x800 to 1024x768 and i haven't had a problem in 2 weeks up to 8 hrs of playing time.

Maybe there is a requirement saying it should only be at 1280x768? I haven't read the manuals so maybe it's in there.

Gracias!

Inviato Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 11:14 pm
n3lson,
if you bought the product, fill your serial number here , so everyone could see your have the professional edition of VDJ
Ewout

Inviato Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 12:01 am
deliusPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi people/suport team

this may be of interest

I had the same problem that started this thread. A blank screen (sometimes blue or green etc but usually black) the music still played and there was no way back out of it.

I always use an external monitor when i'm working plugged into my laptop. It seemed a faulty vga cable caused this problem, but only in vdj. Once i replaced the cable, the problem never happened again. Before that it was a garanteed eventuality of the night.

I hope this is useful and perhaps gives a clue to the bug,

Tom

Inviato Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 3:35 pm
@delius
Thank you very much as i haven't thought about that. You're right as it's logical.

Inviato Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 12:14 am
Great tip Delius, goes to show that if we think outside the square the problem could possibly be elsewhere!

Another tip or experience of mine was when VDJ would freeze when searching for songs. Found a faulty IDE cable to be the fault.

cheers.

Inviato Sun 18 Jun 06 @ 4:43 am
djzarePRO InfinityMember since 2004
2 delius: what laptop do you have? I've taken mine HP NC6120 to a certified Hp repair shop and they had it 2 days runing tests on it and everything was working all right. Right now I'm out of guarantie period & the screen problem still happens- only with VDJ! Taking an extra monitor is not really mobile! But its the only safe solution for now :(

btw. graphic chip is Intel's 910/915 GM

Inviato Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 12:21 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
This problem it related to using the wrong size skin for vdj and your monitor.

if your screen resoultion is 1280x800 use a 1280x800 skin

or

set your screen resoultion to 1024x768 if you are using the defualt skin.

Inviato Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 5:20 am
Hi All,

I have read this thread from the beginning and sympathise with all those who have experienced this GSOD (Green Screen Of Death) problem running VDJ on their laptops.

Here's what I know for sure:

1. Used the demo of VDJ back in the day of AtomixMP3 on a desktop and never had this prob.
2. Ran a demo version of the product on my new work laptop (Compaq nx6110) and never saw the problem.
3. Bought the DJC version, installed software, plugged all in and got the GSOD (music playing in background and keyboard still working) within 5 minutes of operation.
4. I have had this problem once a couple of days later.
5. Since I updated the DJC drivers (one week ago) I have not had this problem again (so far)
6. I have only ever seen a green screen.

I am using the laptop with WinXPSP2, etrust AV (usually turned off), and a USB mouse - internal HDD, 512MB RAM.

I'm not entirely sure the DJC drivers have helped the problem go away, and I'm kinda expecting to see the problem again, but hey - maybe i fixed it (FYI; I got the drivers from the Hercules website.) I do think this problem is USB related though, as it only started happening when i used the DJ Console itself, and it came with VDJ v3.4 If I could only reproduce the problem I could be sure!

I hope this helps a bit.

-aaron.

p.s. I am very impressed with Virtual DJ! My only reservation is a weird 'sound artifact' I'm getting on MP3's when the pitch has been changed.. It sounds like the record's out of sync slightly with the other.. but there's only one playing. Another way to describe it is the sound is 'choppy', like every half a second you loose a 100th of a second. I don't know if this is just the way VDJ sounds, but I'll try and fix it anyway - there may be a setting in the software yet, but I honestly haven't looked very hard. If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd love to hear from you! ;)

Inviato Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 4:46 pm
@atomsett
Disable the master tempo

Inviato Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 7:40 pm
91%